hedgehogs?

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
so i know this is tortoise forum, but has anyone know anything about pet hedgehogs, or own one?

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
My brother owns one and they are really easy to take care of , he feed his hedgehog worms , crickets , cat food , hedgehog food , lettuce , squash and other things :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have one!! They are awesome!! You have to work with them so they get use to you. Once they know you and your scent, they are a lot of fun! If you have questions I would be happy to answer them! :)

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
i really wanted one, but i live in california :( and i read it is illegal to have one here

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Illegal here. Not the best pets in my opinion anyway. They are similar to a hamster in personality. Nocturnal and not too interested in being played with.

You really can't beat a pet rat for fun, trainability and sociability. Clean like a cat, friendly like a dog...

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
i used to have a rat years ago. also from what i read, permits are seldom given out if at all. so until i move out of the sunshine state i can kiss my hedgehog dreams goodbye.

i just like the idea of having a small critter. not a mouse size. but something i can keep indoors and get to know. hedgehogs were my first choice, but i'm looking around into chinchillas as well. no purchases to be made til the middle of next year though.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
So sorry you cant get a hedghog. They actually ARE good pets if you just work with them until they get used to you! I adore mine! I guess everyone has their own opinion tho. Good luck!! :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tom said:
Yep. Illegal here. Not the best pets in my opinion anyway. They are similar to a hamster in personality. Nocturnal and not too interested in being played with.

You really can't beat a pet rat for fun, trainability and sociability. Clean like a cat, friendly like a dog...

I have to agree on the pet rats. The only downside is their short life span.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I've had one. Just a hamster with spines. Unfriendly, too.

Also, they only have about 4 years to live.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you looking for in a pet Raneygirl?

Maybe we ought to reverse engineer this a bit...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hedgehogs take working with and then they are great, but until that point they can be kinda sticklers to work with. ;) I use to love feeding ours (my oldest daughter's really) on the palm of my hand. Was a neat/weird feeling. :D

When my youngest daughter came down this week, she talked about the one her roommate just got off Craig's list. He has not been worked with and as such is not the friendliest fellow. Sounds like the roommate does not have the patience to work with him either and is already thinking of passing him on to another person. :(

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
I want something small, and kept indoors. after looking at a lot of videos and care of a chinchilla i don't think its for me. my fiancee doesn't want a guinea pig, and i'm not too enthused about those either. lol. we are both looking at dumbo rats. there are a few breeders around my area and i like the look of the "siamese" or blue point/seal point rats.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you want it to be friendly and interactive?

If yes, a rat is a great way to go.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My daughter wants a rat or two as a pet. But seeing as she is a young adult (19) and not a child but is unemployed, she will need to wait until she is making some money.

Shouldn't rats be kept in at least pairs though? That's what I've always heard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I never did. Like a dog, I found them to be more attuned and interactive if I was their only companion verses others of the same species living with them 24/7. All of my rats with the best personalities were always housed alone. I also preferred males, so housing them with females or other males could be problematic.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Good to know, Tom. Thanks. I think my daughter wanted only one and everyone kept telling her to get at least two.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
yes, interactive. we were thinking about a pair because of what i've read online. i still don't know if a pair or a single is the best way to go. i think we might lead to getting one rat, because i don't want to worry about aggression or accidental litters. has anyone spayed/neutered their rats?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It is cute little thing and they can multiply very quick as I have a friend own few of them.

Why it it illegal in CA, none native species? worry they may multiply all over the place if they getting away from home?