Temps in enclosure

DoctorPotterWho

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have an Exo Terra 24” x 18” x 12” (WxDxH) front open terrarium with a screen top. I have a 100 watt CHE light (in a dual fixture with a 75 watt purple heat which I turn on at night). I also run a 5.0 uvb strip fluoro.

I am having some issues with the temps getting high. They are staying in the 80's, but just pushing the limit. Is this too hot for my tort? On the hottest side it can reach 89 degrees at it's peak. On the cooler of the sides it stays about 83 degrees or so. Humidity varies through out the day, but I mist so it stays between 50 and 80 percent.

From the top of the tank to the bottom is only 12 inches. I've tried a 60 Watt CHE, but it keeps the temps in the high 70's so the next up was the 100 watt. Is there a way to control the temps better? As soon as you switch off the CHE the temps drop immediately.

He has a hide to shelter in, but like today he gets right under the CHE and digs into the mulch and spagmoss.

I have the top screen covered to keep the humidity in, but I am afraid it's making it too hot as well.

Thanks!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
What are you measuring temps with?

I ask because the enclosure is very small for that much wattage. I'd think it's getting hotter than that.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473728023.387544.jpg

These are on the deal section of Amazon for the week. They are great for checking temps.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I also think with a tank that size you will have a hard time with keep temps down.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My closed chambered "baby" enclosure is about that size. It's glass and has a plexiglass lid on a hinge made of duct tape. Nothing fancy.
There is a 5.0 tube fixture mounted on the underside of the lid, inside the enclosure. and with this set up, I need no other heat. Just that cool running florescent keeps the temps around 83 in the day time with dips into the high 70s at night inside my house with the A/C cranked down to 72. The humidity and the warmth stay inside.
We all do things a little differently and we find what works best.
I would suggest replacing the screen with plexi.
BTW that temp gun is a must have and that price is crazy cheap!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
With 100 watts, yes.

Yes that's what I meant. I used something that small for my hatchling box turtles but run a 60 watt on thermostat at 80ish, most the time it didn't run because closed chamber

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes that's what I meant. I used something that small for my hatchling box turtles but run a 60 watt on thermostat at 80ish, most the time it didn't run because closed chamber
Yeah I raised baby boxies in it as well. I used a 50 watt reptile black heat bulb.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
I think because I have a screened enclosure some of the heat is escaping. I have a digital temp and humidity gage at one end and a regular temp and humidity gage at the other end. I keep them both low , just above where the tortoise shell starts.
I will get that gun today. Is there something else I need to keep the temp stable? What thermostat is best for my little tank?

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
It's reading almost at 90 on the left side. I usually crack the doors open at that point. I have a 60 watt CHE but it only keeps the Temps in the 70's. Makes the ground cold to touch. At night I run a purple heat light which keeps it in the high 70's.

Attachments

• 1473775035948.jpg
    1473775035948.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1473775045918.jpg
    1473775045918.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 1473775062385.jpg
    1473775062385.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 1473775075251.jpg
    1473775075251.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 1473775238283.jpg
    1473775238283.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 16

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's reading almost at 90 on the left side. I usually crack the doors open at that point. I have a 60 watt CHE but it only keeps the Temps in the 70's. Makes the ground cold to touch. At night I run a purple heat light which keeps it in the high 70's.
You have the screen covered so not much heat is escaping I'd think. My redfoot enclosure is 3 feet deep, 6 feet long, and 15 inches high. It is covered on top as well. It is heated by just two 75 watt bulbs, for a total of 150 watts. That's why I can't imagine 100 watts on your small one. What is the temp in your house? Is a/c running a lot? Temperature guns are imperative.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
You have the screen covered so not much heat is escaping I'd think. My redfoot enclosure is 3 feet deep, 6 feet long, and 15 inches high. It is covered on top as well. It is heated by just two 75 watt bulbs, for a total of 150 watts. That's why I can't imagine 100 watts on your small one. What is the temp in your house? Is a/c running a lot? Temperature guns are imperative.

I just pulled off some of it. I did that to try and keep the humidity up. We run the a/c at 76 to 77. I don't have the vents fully opened in the room though because it's right next to the a/c unit and gets the coldest (smaller room). Should I try the 60 watt CHE with the top covered? Or should I just get a longer enclosure?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Are you using a thermostat on the CHE or is it running straight off the fixture?

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
@Pearly or @ZEROPILOT can help you out best with a red foot set up. I really think you need to keep that top covered to keep up the humidity.

Thank you! That's what I thought too. I can always crack the doors open. Now that I have removed part of the covering and cracked the doors open the temps dropped down to 82 on both sides. I am going to try with the top on and cracking the doors open.

I have a longer Tupperware that I could convert, but then I would be back at square one with figuring out everything. Are there places that have these setups pre-done?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The enclosure, IMO, needs to be kept enclosed for warmth and humidity. The temp gun will tell you true temps. The great thing about enclosed enclosures is you can use less wattage. I don't like CHE myself. I have luck with the black/purple heat bulbs. For that size enclosure I would cover it completely, not leave anything open. I would try a 50 watt black reptile heat bulb running g 24/7. Uvb 12 hours a day. Cover completely. If that's not enough 75 watts may work. Those fixtures I don't like either. I use only 8 inch silver domes.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I like what Lisa said or I think if you just set that CHE up on a thermostat then you can keep that warmth and humidity up and be able to adjust the temps the way you want them and keep everything closed up.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
I like what Lisa said or I think if you just set that CHE up on a thermostat then you can keep that warmth and humidity up and be able to adjust the temps the way you want them and keep everything closed up.

Thank you! Is there a good thermostat you would recommend? I found this one on amazon, but wasn't sure if it was good or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DZ5NVBQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I figured with that one I could set a day and night temp for the little guy.