Heating experiment.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I was setting up an enclosure for my new hatchling today and I had a wild idea. Why not use the heating element and thermostat that came with the Hovabator incubator I bought? So I disassembled the incubator and took out the element and then rigged it to fit onto the lid of my enclosure. So far the temps have remained a solid 86 thru out the whole enclosure. Any one else every try this? IMG_20181231_161532557.jpg IMG_20181231_161636320.jpg IMG_20181231_161643620.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
No warpage on the lid? Maybe something inbetween the element and the lid. Also I would add large washers to the topside just under the screw head to distribute the stress out a in a larger diameter that just the screw head. Cool Repurposing-I am a huge fan of a second life for a single onbject

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There might be warpage in a few days will see. I just set it up today.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I figure monitor the temps and it should give you a good life. Considering you cant read the digital gauge I would say you have the humidity spot on

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At 25 watts, it might have trouble keeping temps up on a cold night, but your thermometer will answer that question for us. Neat Idea.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
At 25 watts, it might have trouble keeping temps up on a cold night, but your thermometer will answer that question for us. Neat Idea.
You are correct. After temps dropped at night it wasn't keeping the enclosure warm enough and it was running nonstop. I took it out and decided to try another method. Somebody gave me the idea of putting my heat source outside of the enclosure. I mounted my CHE about a foot and a half above my tub enclosures lid. I had to play with the height a little to get the right temps but so far so good. It's been a few days and the enclosure is staying around 86-88 and humidity around 90ish. Anyone else every try this method?IMG_20190103_100305070.jpg IMG_20190103_100223652.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have not tried that method. I'm curious, what is the temp on the surface of that lid to keep the inside temp in the mid 80s?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have not tried that method. I'm curious, what is the temp on the surface of that lid to keep the inside temp in the mid 80s?
It's pretty hot to the touch but not enough to burn you. It's a 150 watt CHE. I've had it on there 2 days now and the plastic has warped a little but not too bad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's pretty hot to the touch but not enough to burn you. It's a 150 watt CHE. I've had it on there 2 days now and the plastic has warped a little but not too bad.
That doesn't seem safe or advisable to me...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That doesn't seem safe or advisable to me...
I have a 50 watt CHE and a thermostat coming in the mail Im planning on rigging. This here was just something I tried. I think maybe in the summer time with a low wattage light instead of a CHE it might be better.