Heated sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Last two winters I brought them in at night. I tried a heated shed the first winter but they got RI. So I'm wondering if there are any blueprints for heated sheds. I used red floodlights and the shed was built from plywood. I left a small opening for them. And a couple mornings I found them out of the shed in the cold. I'm thinking that is what went wrong. So this time I planned on making a door so they couldn't come out on their own. Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I built all my sheds just like they build houses...two by four studs then a sheet of styrofoam insulation on either side of the studs, covering both inside and outside walls with plywood. I made a roof that can be lifted on the smaller sheds, but a walk-in door on the larger sheds. I also have doors that can be closed and latched so once the tortoises are inside for the night, they can't come back out until I open the doors in the morning.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I was thinking of putting plexiglass windows on it incase if I have to leave them in there during the day. You think that's a good idea? What do you use to hear it? And how do you get electric out to it?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Like Emmy mentioned , always try and have a "void" spot within your walls , thus creating a higher "R" value. You can insulate with foam , insulation , shredded newspaper ect. Another option is a " Shed within a shed" I use this method for the reds N cherries outdoors... their hut actually has a constant room temp, but also large heated hide within the hut itself.
build3.jpg
build7-1.jpg
P1010414.jpg
cove40.jpg
cove39.jpg

JD~:)

To run your elec ...its best to run under ground in some PVC/ABS conduit.....to your enclosure.

JD~

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Like Emmy mentioned , always try and have a "void" spot within your walls , thus creating a higher "R" value. You can insulate with foam , insulation , shredded newspaper ect. Another option is a " Shed within a shed" I use this method for the reds N cherries outdoors... their hut actually has a constant room temp, but also large heated hide within the hut itself.

JD~:)

Those are so beautiful and amazing! Oh if only I had the money to do that for mine.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Wow!! I want to see the rest of your yard! How beautiful! Wonderful construction too. Very inspiring! Thank you.

Can I ask what part of the country or world you are in?

Status
Not open for further replies.