sheds

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
when your snake is about to shed about how long does he/she stay hidden? my francine's been hiding out in her hide for about a week almost. her last shed was about 4 hoppers ago. i feed her every 4-7 days. i fed her a week ago and shes been hiding out which, to me means shes ready to shed. should i pull her out and feed her or wait it out? i think im just going to feed her. it did just hit winter weather could that have much to do with it? she's also turned a very pale pink, another incentive she's going to shed. right before she sheds she gets very pale baby pink and after shes a very vibrant orange-red.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would offer the food after dark and see if she takes it. If not, pull it after an hour or so.

Do you have a humid hide? Really helps with the shedding process.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
she has her log hide that is at an angle, it meets the floor at one side, almost at a right angle. i spray it occasionally. i keep the hide onto one side under the basking light. i leave the basking light on from 9am to 7-8pm. she has a water dish that is available to her, she drinks and slithers through it from time to time. yeah ill buy her a mouse tomorrow and see if she feels like it. what happens is i feed her, and then let her chill out for a day or two. handle her, and then its feeding again, and i feel like i dont have enough time with her. she goes all over the cage weaving in and out of the jungle wire and tall log climbs i have for her. i read that you shouldnt handle her after feeding. i have a separate feeding tank for her as well. it just seems like her shed is taking a while this time. she has gone through a growth spurt shes over 2 ft. now.

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
What kind of snake is she? Sorry if you've posted that somewhere else I'm new to the forum but have a ton of experience with different varieties of snakes