Heat Lamp Speed up Off Gassing?

Gooch

Hi guys, just waiting for my new tortoise table to off gas. I read somewhere that shining a heat lamp on the table will speed up the curing process. Is this true?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes.

Even once it is fully cured you will still smell some of the polyurethane smell. Just like moving into a new house - you will still get that new paint smell even though it is fully dried / cured. When I start using a new enclosure, you can still smell the new paint. The smell should not be strong though.

Gooch

Yes.

Even once it is fully cured you will still smell some of the polyurethane smell. Just like moving into a new house - you will still get that new paint smell even though it is fully dried / cured. When I start using a new enclosure, you can still smell the new paint. The smell should not be strong though.
Soooooooo does that mean that I can put my tortoise in there?

Gooch

Soooooooo does that mean that I can put my tortoise in there?
@Markw84 Sorry to bother you again but I put the heat lamp on the table for a few hours and when I came back, It wasnt nearly as strong as it was before. Heck, I could barely smell the polyurethane. Do you think it is safe for me to put my tort in there now? Sorry for being so clueless on this topic :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't ever be sorry for asking questions you don't know the answer to. It's very good that you're concerned for your tortoise's safety.

If it were me (and I've NEVER done what you've done) I would go ahead and add the substrate and "furniture" and get it all set up with the lights, etc. then wait a day and add the tortoise tomorrow. I don't think I'd cover the habitat to make it a closed chamber, for another week or so.

Gooch

@Yvonne G It is all an open topped table, but I am in search of screen lids for a 20 gallon aquarium so I can line those up in a row on top of the table so it can allow air flow and my evil cat can't get in there.

Gooch

@Yvonne G It is all an open topped table, but I am in search of screen lids for a 20 gallon aquarium so I can line those up in a row on top of the table so it can allow air flow and my evil cat can't get in there.
Oh yes and I am planning on just moving the substrate from his current table to the new one so I cant really do what you suggested

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Gooch. It's hard to tell you the status of the polyurethane without seeing it. You have to make that call. I do believe from what you've been describing, Yvonne's suggestion is perfect at this piint

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
And I'd be wary of lining up screen tops for security. A cat is great at getting at what they want. It will prowl all over the top of whatever you do so you need to make it catproof!!

Gooch

Thanks @Markw84 Will just letting the enclosure sit there for an extra day have the same effect as having all the substrate and stuff in there for a day?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sure. But I think you can go ahead and start setting it up. You should always give a new setup a day or so to get everything at the perfect temp and humidity before putting in a tortoise. It takes awhile to stabilize and test all your readings. I think that is what Yvonne was referring to as the setup time gives another day of curing too

Gooch

Sure. But I think you can go ahead and start setting it up. You should always give a new setup a day or so to get everything at the perfect temp and humidity before putting in a tortoise. It takes awhile to stabilize and test all your readings. I think that is what Yvonne was referring to as the setup time gives another day of curing too
Ohhhh ok, Thanks! I already measured the basking temp is 98 degrees f and the cool side temp is 70ish