Heat lamp bulbs

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is probably a extremely stupid question but can my torts heat lamp bulb be too bright?
Yes.
Especially if it's over a Redfoot or a Yellowfoot tortoise.
But there may be other factors, too.
What is the light?
What is the tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First you shouldn't use a red light, can cause them to eat stuff they shouldn't.
They need a tube florescent uvb bulb, a incandescent flood bulb for basking and a ceramic heat emitter for night heat. This is for a hatchling
Temps need to never go below 80 and basking needs to be 95-100.
What size is the tortoise and what are you housing it in?
Post pics of enclosure and the tortoise.
Please read the caresheets on this forum for the sulcata.

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio
First you shouldn't use a red light, can cause them to eat stuff they shouldn't.
They need a tube florescent uvb bulb, a incandescent flood bulb for basking and a ceramic heat emitter for night heat. This is for a hatchling
Please read the caresheets on this forum for the sulcata
Please read the caresheets on this forum for the sulcata.
Gotcha. He is 11 pushing 12 inches long. Enclosure was made from wood and has screening. I have also been working on building an outdoor enclosure since hes been long overdue for one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Gotcha. He is 11 pushing 12 inches long. Enclosure was made from wood and has screening. I have also been working on building an outdoor enclosure since hes been long overdue for one.
Yes, at that size he needs to be outside 24/7 with a heated night box for those rare occasions you have cold. No indoor enclosure will be big enough if it's not room size. He can get walking and digestive problems if he doesn't have enough space to roam.
At that size, if you get him outside, you won't need the lights I mentioned. Just a heated source for the night box. Take a look at member Tom threads on night boxes.

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio
Yes, at that size he needs to be outside 24/7 with a heated night box for those rare occasions you have cold. No indoor enclosure will be big enough if it's not room size. He can get walking and digestive problems if he doesn't have enough space to roam.
At that size, if you get him outside, you won't need the lights I mentioned. Just a heated source for the night box. Take a look at member Tom threads on night boxes.
Thank you this is gonna help a lot when im finishing up and adding things. How big should his enclosure be outside? He’ll most likely just use it for sleeping and not as much movement like now since hes gonna have full time access out in the sun. Just making sure so i know whats too small

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The night box should be 4x8. You can do a 4x4 but won't give him much room when he is larger.
The yard/enclosure should be as big as your can give him.
@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you this is gonna help a lot when im finishing up and adding things. How big should his enclosure be outside? He’ll most likely just use it for sleeping and not as much movement like now since hes gonna have full time access out in the sun. Just making sure so i know whats too small
The enclosure should be at least 50x50 feet. The night box can be 4x4 or 4x8 feet. Here are two examples:

Your tortoise is really getting too big for light bulbs and CHEs. Time to move to safer and more effective heating elements.