Heat Lamp Bulbs or Ceramic Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

5 Year Member
Just curious. I personally use one of them Ceramic Lamp Bulbs as a heat source for my tortoises but i always wondered why some people use Heat Lamp Bulbs because it would almost make it seem like 24/7 daytime in the tortoise cages. Just a random thought that kind of popped in my head. Anyone have any suggestions why? Thanks!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Most people who use heat lamps only use them during the day and have other heating options, if needed, at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The two main ones that we have discussed here in the past are the Ceramic Heating Elements and the "colored" night bulbs. The colored night bulbs are usually black or red.

Advantages of the colored bulbs are: They are cheaper, and you can easily see that they are on and working from a distance. Disadvantages: They burn out relatively quickly and some people (me) don't like all the light they generate.

Advantages of the CHE: They last forever, they keep it dark, and ALL of the electricity they use is converted to heat, making them more efficient for their intended purpose. Disadvantages: They are more expensive to buy initially and you need a thermometer or a "hand" check to be sure they are on at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.