Can you use a regular flood bulb for a heat lamp?

Tortoise MasterMan

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I have tried to buy heat bulbs before, and it is super confusing. Is there a good bulb (Not Mercury Vapor) that can be used for russians? I have heard that you can use regular flood bulbs as a heat lamp. Does anyone have any specific flood bulbs that they know work?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have tried to buy heat bulbs before, and it is super confusing. Is there a good bulb (Not Mercury Vapor) that can be used for russians? I have heard that you can use regular flood bulbs as a heat lamp. Does anyone have any specific flood bulbs that they know work?

Thanks!
I use regular 65 watt floods from the hardware store. Phillips or Sylvania. I buy them in 6 or 12 packs so I always have extras on hand. Adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can also go higher or lower wattage as needed to get the correct temp under your bulb.

Danny Graham

Hanahan , S.C. 29410

Thanks!
Ceramic heat lamp

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Thanks!

I forgot to ask you what size of enclosure you are heating up, and is it fully enclosed with a lid or is it open top? Are your Russians youngsters or adults? Good luck too!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found two 65 watt Sylvania flood LED bulb in my garage, but both of them together still didn't heat it very well. I think I need to up the wattage.
LED bulbs don't produce heat... And they aren't 65 watts. If you read the package a little closer, you'll see that they are producing the equivalent amount of light that you'd get from an incandescent 65 watt bulb. They probably use somewhere around 9-10 watts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thanks. I have one light bulb that says it is LED, but also 65 watt.
A 65 watt LED would light up an entire parking lot. I have 4 pole mounted 49 watt LEDs that light up my entire 5 acre ranch at night. The labeling can be confusing. Unless we are talking about a very large bulb that lights up a large outdoor area, what you have is a 65 watt bulb "replacement'. Meaning the bulb is intended to replace the 65 watt incandescent bulb, produce a similar amount of light, but use a lot less electricity.