Head starting brand new hatchlings!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Look at the gorgeous new growth coming in on that big one to the left! Just beautiful. I hope the breeder of these babies is happy with the results so far, because they look great! :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thank ya sir! All your input along the way has helped.

I can not believe how fast they grow when started humid right away. And their personalities are unlike the others. Very adventurous, curious and not a hint of shyness. I've also thought Elohi was making it up when she described her GregT babies (not really :p) but I can now see what she means! What characters!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are looking great Heather. I know you will, but will say it anyway. Keep up the good work.:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks Barb :)

I still have to decide how long to hold onto them before letting them go to new homes. But when they are ready, I'm sure they'll be easy to place. They are too cool.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Team Gomberg said:
I can not believe how fast they grow when started humid right away.

That was one of the first things I noticed too back with Tuck, Trey and Tulee in 2010. They were eating the same things and in the same amounts as any other tortoise I've raised, but they grew much faster. Some people opine that this is a bad thing, but if their nutritional needs are met, calcium levels are correct, UV is in abundance, and they are well hydrated, HOW is it bad? Should we dry them all up so they will grow slower and more "naturally"? Its not the food, its the superior health from the right conditions!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
+2 more babies :)
1390028509855.jpg

Raising leopards has got to be the best thing ever! Although, I'm sure it will be tough to let them go :D

Last edited by a moderator:

J_W

Colorado
So cute. The one on the left looks like it has a heart on one of its middle scute. I am viewing these from my phone so I may be seeing things lol.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
J_W said:
So cute. The one on the left looks like it has a heart on one of its middle scute. I am viewing these from my phone so I may be seeing things lol.

Actually, I see it too. They both seem to have one. The one on the right is a solid brown heart. The one on the left is tan in the middle of the brown trimmed heart. Same scute on both.

Heather, I think you need too keep at least one of these babies. You got to start them out right from hatching stage and you didn't even hatch them. Not often, if ever, we that don't breed, can have that experience. If you have the room, keep,them all:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Of course you know, I am liking the special scute one the best. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
7 day old baby next to a 27 day old baby :)
1390080490567.jpg

Out of the 6 babies (so far), I'm definitely keeping 2 that I've had from yolk sac stage. The other 4 have already been adopted BUT they want me to grow them big and smooth for little awhile before taking them. I have no problem doing that.

As more hatch I'll head start those for a good few weeks then hopefully FINALLY have some available for all the TFO people sending me emails asking :D

I've built another 50 gal closed chamber and still have room outside, so I'm all set!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Um, Heather, that larger one is all plugged in. What trick are you using, other then Toms, your not telling us about:p :D
Glad you are keeping some. I sure hope your efforts are appreciated. I know the tortoises appreciate it:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just discovered that my reptile dealer friend has custom made melamine enclosures ready to go. They already have two fixtures in them and everything. The 4x2x2' size is only $199!

One of the hardest things about closed chambers is where to get one. Some people can't build one and don't know anyone who can. Well. Here's the solution. Another place to just go buy one.