Hatchling died

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
One of my hatchlings hatched over a week ago. I noticed his yolk sac wasn't absorbing as fast as the others. I kept him in the hatchling incubator on wet paper towels and just kept an eye on him. Today, I found him dead. What happened? His yolk sac never really did absorb. Could I have done anything?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Sorry for your loss. I have no explanation. I do know that incubating tortoise eggs can be a real heart breaker. Some just don't survive. I have lost several that were fully formed and it never gets easier. So sad that they make it that far and then die. Again, sorry!!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
kimber_lee_314 said:
One of my hatchlings hatched over a week ago. I noticed his yolk sac wasn't absorbing as fast as the others. I kept him in the hatchling incubator on wet paper towels and just kept an eye on him. Today, I found him dead. What happened? His yolk sac never really did absorb. Could I have done anything?
Sorry to hear. That has happened to me many times. They don't all live.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
kimber_lee_314 said:

What was the temperature and humidity level in the incubator after the tortoise hatched?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Absolutly sadning... i have a new hatchling that im worried about also. Is there anyway the yoke sack could have been ruptured or broken? Did he hatch on his own or did you help him after pipping?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Benjamin said:
kimber_lee_314 said:
Sorry to hear. That has happened to me many times. They don't all live.

:tort: I am on the same page with Benjamin. This does happen without any logical reasoning. RIP

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
turtlemann2 said:
Absolutly sadning... i have a new hatchling that im worried about also. Is there anyway the yoke sack could have been ruptured or broken? Did he hatch on his own or did you help him after pipping?

No, he hatched on his own, but he hatched really fast - faster than the others. The day he died, it looked like the the sac may have bled a little - but that's after several days of not absorbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.