Hay for my Redfoot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Mine have never voluntarily eaten hay or even most grasses. I do use chopped hay as an additive to boost fiber, however, with moderate luck.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Mine eat hay by itself in bowls maybe once a month i put a bowl of it in and they chomp through it all!

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I never tried hay, but they will eat a little fresh lawn grass when I put it in there every once in a while. It wouldn't surprise me if they ate it though. I think mine would try to eat pretty much anything, at least a few bites anyways.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
redfoot7 said:
I never tried hay, but they will eat a little fresh lawn grass when I put it in there every once in a while. It wouldn't surprise me if they ate it though. I think mine would try to eat pretty much anything, at least a few bites anyways.

I was just wondering, what I should feed to make sure he is getting enough fiber ....

Ok I had to laugh at myself! Here I am worrying about fiber for myself, fiber for my hubby, and now I am worrying about fiber for my Tyrone!
FIBER! It's what's for dinner!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Mine don't really graze. They take a few bites here and there. I have never tried hay.

Wondering4toolong

5 Year Member
CT, USA
My guys like to root around in it more than graze...I keep a "hay house" on the drier side of the environment for them :)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Mine will eat the lawn plants in Summer-grass, clover dandelion, plantain
I have not offered hay.
I think they get enough fibre in their usual diet of mixed greens and fruits, veggie.
Pumpkin in particular is very high in fibre.
If they are pooping regularly, chances are they are getting adequate fibre.
I think some of the other species rely more on hays-sulcatta, leopard for example.More of a grassland type tortoise.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
tyler0912 said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Redfoots don't graze.

They could o' fooled me.

People often refer to eating low-lying vegetation as "grazing," but technically grazing refers to eating graminoids (grasses, sedges, and rushes). In contrast, browsing refers to feeding on broad-leaved weeds and shrubs.

Redfoots are happy to browse on ground cover, like clover, bindweed, dandelions, plantains, etc. But they don't really feed on grass.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
My Rosie grazes.. And devours! I had her out on the floor and she ran over to near the rabbits and was eating their dropped hay.. Then she kept trying to eat carpet. I promise I'm not starving her! When outside she walks and munches grass too. >.> I swear, once she has a planted enclosure she's going to feel like a fat kid in a cake buffet.

Status
Not open for further replies.