Should I watch out for Hawks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankandramsley

5 Year Member
Hello. I have two sulcata tortoises who weigh roughly 8 pounds each. I live in Florida and they have an outdoor enclosure as well as a walk in-indoor hut style den. They spend most of the sunny time outside and I just looked outside to check on them and noticed a small Hawk sitting on the pool screen looking down near their area. Is this something I should be concerned about? This is the first time I have noticed a hawk nearby. There are a good amount of hawks where I live and seeing them are common, but I just want to be sure if it is okay. I know they are too heavy to be picked up by one, but I don't know if they can hurt them in any other way. Thoughts?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
frankandramsley said:
Hello. I have two sulcata tortoises who weigh roughly 8 pounds each. I live in Florida and they have an outdoor enclosure as well as a walk in-indoor hut style den. They spend most of the sunny time outside and I just looked outside to check on them and noticed a small Hawk sitting on the pool screen looking down near their area. Is this something I should be concerned about? This is the first time I have noticed a hawk nearby. There are a good amount of hawks where I live and seeing them are common, but I just want to be sure if it is okay. I know they are too heavy to be picked up by one, but I don't know if they can hurt them in any other way. Thoughts?

Maybe chicken wire over the top will do it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah hawks, as well as ospry down in florida will gladly try and could do some serious costly damage. Better safe then sorry.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I am new here so I could be wrong, but I would worry that they might hurt the tortoises. I would make a cover for their enclosure. When I build my outside enclosure I am going to make a top that has a screen across so that no predators can hurt them. That is just my opinion.:)

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Yah, Id be a bit worried even though 8 pounds is alot for a bird to lift. the general rule I have gone by is if the tortoise is over 12" in length then they should be fine from everything except dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.