Hawaiian Leopards

Coconut

Hello Forum

I'm new to the tortoise world. I've always wanted pet torts but they are few and far between in Hawaii so I got some from North America. I have two Leopards, Mike and Leo ninja. I've had them for more than two weeks and they were doing fine on a diet of ZooMed grassland and some fresh weeds like plantain, sow thistle, and dandelion from the garden. Also hibiscus, petunia, and aloe. The were usually up and about but lately they've been sleeping a lot the last couple of days. I noticed Mike with a snot bubble. They're kept under the porch on coconut substrate with a UVB and infrared lamp since it can get damp outside. My hygrometer reads between 50-70% average. Should I bring my babies to the vet or let them sleep it off? Should their food be more dry than moist? I'm getting worried. :(image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Actually, we have many, many Hawaiian members who keep tortoises. I would just make sure their habitat is at least 80F degrees. I don't think you need to worry just yet. If the mucous changes consistency or colors and if the baby stops eating, then it's vet time.

Everything about those babies should be moist. Food, habitat, everything. Please read the threads at the top of the Leopard section. They will help you give your new babies the best care.

Coconut

Thanks Yvonne! I didn't realize there are many in Hawaii. The pet stores on my island don't carry tortoise food so it must be the other islands. I'll be sure to keep everything moist

Actually, we have many, many Hawaiian members who keep tortoises. I would just make sure their habitat is at least 80F degrees. I don't think you need to worry just yet. If the mucous changes consistency or colors and if the baby stops eating, then it's vet time.

Everything about those babies should be moist. Food, habitat, everything. Please read the threads at the top of the Leopard section. They will help you give your new babies the best care.
nks

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Congratulations on your beautiful leopards. I too have leopards and I absolutely love them.
What island are you on, if you don't mind sharing? I have a brother who lives on the big island.

Elohi(Earth)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO fromAZ . Torts are habit forming I have about 20 leopards . Have a great tort day :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Coconut

Thank you Elohi. I'm not on the Big Island.

My temps run at about 95/70. Is that too hot to be sleeping in all day?

Coconut

Hello Grandpa. Thanks! I'm sure then you have much insight on Leopards. By "habit forming" might that include sleeping in the hottest part of the habitat all day? I know mine like to eat at about 4pm every day before tucking in at night. Or pooping next to the food dish. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Regardless of climate people tend to have trouble trying to raise leopards outside full time. They do best indoors as babies with short daily trips to the great outdoors. Once they are older and bigger, they can live out there with a heated box for night time.

70 with high is too cold for a baby leopard. You need to make a warm enclosure indoors for them at night at least.

Please read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

This one might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yes all my torts think the food dish is the bathroom. I think they mark their food . But most of my torts eat from 4am - 6am and again about 7pm. That's not just leopards that's all 8 different breeds .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum