Hi From S. Texas!

escurnow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Texas
My name is Liz and I live south of San Antonio. I recently acquired two Sulcata's from a friend of a friend of a friend who was downsizing. We have a farm and a menagerie of rescue animals, so they fit right in.

Sully and Mike (I know.. but my kids felt like they were so clever!) :) are so sweet. Both ages are pretty well unknown, but Sully is about 5 lbs and Mike (who's probably more of a Michelle) is about 1 lb. and much more shy.

We are working on the outdoor enclosure and have the perimeter up but now we need to do some 'interior decorating'. It's currently 16 x 32 ft. with the option to expand up to several acres. they have a little dog house type feature that they like to hang out in. It's got native grasses, but needs a bit more variety. I've got a spineless cactus I'm thinking of transplanting some into the enclosure. Suggestions are welcome for both plants and entertainment/hiding features.

I look forward to learning from the experts out there!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Seeing a pair of sulcatas are not the best combo to have, you should put a lot of sight barriers in the enclosure. Give two hides or more and two water dishes and feed in seperate areas. The size yard is pretty good with a lot of sight barriers that you may be able to keep them together, however, if you do see any kind of bullying, they will need to be kept seperate.

Alaskamike

South Florida
You've got one sulcata that is 5x bigger than the other. If it were me, I'd put a barrier up and give them both their own space a size difference that large will likely , eventually lead to a confrontation - and the little one will lose.

Nice you have a very good environment with plenty of room. These tortoises are so often kept in small spaces.

Good fortune with them both :)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi Liz and welcome from the desert !
m0754.gif

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Liz!

You can never have too many opuntia cactus plants. Plant a lot of them throughout the enclosure. You can also plant rose of sharon, a nice mulberry tree on the west side to shade from the afternoon sun, plenty of grass (bermuda grows very well in drought conditions), and whatever you do, don't pull up the weeds!

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
Hello and Welcome:). Seeing a pair of sulcatas are not the best combo to have, you should put a lot of sight barriers in the enclosure. Give two hides or more and two water dishes and feed in seperate areas. The size yard is pretty good with a lot of sight barriers that you may be able to keep them together, however, if you do see any kind of bullying, they will need to be kept seperate.

Great idea! What are the best sight barriers? Rocks and plants or other things? I'm still learning so i appreciate the replies!

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
You've got one sulcata that is 5x bigger than the other. If it were me, I'd put a barrier up and give them both their own space a size difference that large will likely , eventually lead to a confrontation - and the little one will lose.

Nice you have a very good environment with plenty of room. These tortoises are so often kept in small spaces.

Good fortune with them both :)

Thank you! I did read about the potential for conflict, so i will be watching closely, for sure!

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
Hi Liz and welcome from the desert !
m0754.gif

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum, Liz!

You can never have too many opuntia cactus plants. Plant a lot of them throughout the enclosure. You can also plant rose of sharon, a nice mulberry tree on the west side to shade from the afternoon sun, plenty of grass (bermuda grows very well in drought conditions), and whatever you do, don't pull up the weeds!

Awesome! Thanks! I have a spineless version in the back yard, I'll transfer some to the enclosure. Dumb question... if i plant a bunch of friendly plants, do i still 'feed' them on a daily basis, or just keep the water fresh and throw in some treat type fruit/veggies a few times a week? I'm reading everything i can to make sure these little dudes are healthy and happy!

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great idea! What are the best sight barriers? Rocks and plants or other things? I'm still learning so i appreciate the replies!
Yes to both rocks and plants, stumps, longs, even fencing you can't see through but they have to walk around.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you! I did read about the potential for conflict, so i will be watching closely, for sure!
Hello
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440972813.590803.jpg
Well bulling isn't just pushing it can be looks or Evan not looking it can be control of food and /or water , or control of a space of sun or shade !