Have you ever seen this before? Not good

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let's all stand around and not do anything, I offered up a solution that can very well help this tortoise, treatment is the same as treating shell rot, the poor baby also looks like he has double eye infections and has transferred those to the other tortoise so they need antibiotic drops, and, or ointment.

Just because "you and many others" haven't experienced something doesn't make that same something impossible. Really, it's not impossible to understand, it's just like getting athletes foot, so one should treat it as such. I am sorry that this goes against all that you know, but that's life.

This is the sarcasm. However, if you say it wasn't, then good, let's move on and share more about what you have not only experienced with the type of problem, but let us know the experience you have with tortoises, etc. we don't really know you and you have t been a member long for us to feel you have the experience, so, please share it with us. I too would love to know if what you feel it is, could possibly be.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
This is the sarcasm. However, if you say it wasn't, then good, let's move on and share more about what you have not only experienced with the type of problem, but let us know the experience you have with tortoises, etc. we don't really know you and you have t been a member long for us to feel you have the experience, so, please share it with us. I too would love to know if what you feel it is, could possibly be.

I cannot take part in this thread any longer, unfortunately I have an overwhelming sense of discomfort here and my energy is required for other things at this time. I would like to ask that nobody send me alerts of any kind, I am not returning here.

To the OP: I truly hope your torties get the help they require and make a quick recovery.:<3:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Let's all stand around and not do anything, I offered up a solution that can very well help this tortoise, treatment is the same as treating shell rot, the poor baby also looks like he has double eye infections and has transferred those to the other tortoise so they need antibiotic drops, and, or ointment.

Just because "you and many others" haven't experienced something doesn't make that same something impossible. Really, it's not impossible to understand, it's just like getting athletes foot, so one should treat it as such. I am sorry that this goes against all that you know, but that's life.

You are offering up what solution? To what problem? We don't know that this tortoise was ever kept wet or damp conditions at all. The deep notches on the carapace suggest to me that this tortoise was kept dry. Its great that you are offering up your experience with one tortoise in one environment, but lets not ignore the several hundred other examples that did not have any such problem in the same conditions which you have concluded caused your problem. I'm not saying anything is impossible. I'm saying that if a tortoise has some sort of disease process going on, that this sort of secondary infection is to be expected. I'm not concluding one thing or another, and I have a lot more evidence and first hand experience to drawn upon relating to damp tortoises than you do with which to draw conclusions if I were so inclined. What I am trying to tell you and everyone reading is that no one has the answer here, not me or you, and we should exercise a bit more caution than to jump on your band wagon based on one past experience with a different species.

There is no ego involved here for me. I don't even know what was done with this tortoise, so how could there be? Its just that when there is such a disparity of evidence regarding one point of view vs. another, I think that should be taken into consideration. So you have had one tortoise that had a problem and you have concluded that the problem was due to being to wet. Okay. I won't even argue or ask how that conclusion among all the other possible conclusions was reached. I will just take your word for it with no evidence. But now you have got to explain how me and lots of other people have kept lots of tortoises in similarly damp conditions without ever encountering the issue that you encountered.

What will your answer be if Diamond is able to find out that this tortoise was kept dry on rabbit pellets in a dry room in a dry enclosure and soaked once a week, as is typical for this species? What if this tortoise was not in damp conditions and you have people using eye drops and anti fungal creams on it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just another one that can't really offer up anything of any proof. Like our mutual friend has always done;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hate to say this, being the opinion of most people on this forum, agree with the people who feel too damp is no problem.I have kept and bred reptiles about 50 years. I owned a pet shop for 15 years that specialized in reptiles, and managed a reptile wholesale shop for 2 years.I am not trying to sound like a know it all, but I do have a little experience.Out here in AZ, I have not seen problems with too much humidity.Back in N.Y., it was common to see water blisters, fungus, raw spots, etc. on reptiles kept too damp. Being I worked on a study in N.J. on endangered non game species, It was fairly common to see,snakes that would come out of a too damp hibernation area in the spring with loads of sores and blisters.Fortunately, being snakes, most recovered after a few sheds.I don't say that that is the problem, but I think it is worth being considered. At least, I feel that the person suggesting the possibility, should not be ostracized.

Wow, in another location, we are being accused of attacking AmRoKo. I don't think asking for someone to share their experience with us is attacking. We are very open for learning things. All we or at least I ask for is some proof that you know of what your speaking, give us some background. Whether it's your experience or what you have learned from someone, we aren't stupid enough to just believe someone just because they said so. I guess if I was attacking or anyone was attacking, maybe you or you could ask AmRoKo in that other location to point it out.

Last edited:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You are certainly one of the first (that I'm aware of) to share about these blisters from being too wet...That's why it's being probed. Not to ostracize you, to learn more.

I've witnessed shell rot on leopards....which is also uncommon but I never saw blisters.

Interesting about your Sulcata blister experience...

It's more common with snakes and lizards, with tortoises, if there's a problem it typically (more noticeably) manifests as shell rot since their plastron is what is in contact with the substrate.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I offered up a solution that can very well help this tortoise, treatment is the same as treating shell rot, the poor baby also looks like he has double eye infections and has transferred those to the other tortoise so they need antibiotic drops, and, or ointment.

To my knowledge athletes foot is caused by a fungal infection, so antibiotics won't do any good. You'll need antifungal medicines...

I've never heard of these blisters but I'm curious because my redfoot also has very high humidity.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
To my knowledge athletes foot is caused by a fungal infection, so antibiotics won't do any good. You'll need antifungal medicines...

I've never heard of these blisters but I'm curious because my redfoot also has very high humidity.

I believe she was referring to 2 separate conditions; the skin and the eyes, with the antibiotic drops being for possible eye infection.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Well, I aml another that has seen lesions very similar to those seen in the first pic on RF hatchlings kept in overly wet conditions. Once the husbandry was corrected the lesions disappeared.

Does the head area of the sickly one have a peculiar odor? Can you describe it, if so? I have a suspicion of what the pathogen is but need additional info.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Well, I aml another that has seen lesions very similar to those seen in the first pic on RF hatchlings kept in overly wet conditions. Once the husbandry was corrected the lesions disappeared.

Does the head area of the sickly one have a peculiar odor? Can you describe it, if so? I have a suspicion of what the pathogen is but need additional info.
I really believe that keepers in dry climate believe that tortoises can not be too wet. Those of us who have dealt with high humidity, have seen the damage it can do.When I had my pet shop, I had cases of people who bought box turtles from other shops, where the "expert" who sold it to them, told them to keep it in shallow water. Most of them were able to be saved. It is true, snakes, and lizards are more prone to problems with dampness, but almost anything, including people, would have a problem with to much dampness.Ask anyone who was stationed in Nam.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Yes, it is a very well known fact to most of this forum that Redfoots are prone to problems with damp conditions. They do need the higher humidity but with a dry top layer of substrate. if this were a RF, most would probably agree that itoo wet of conditions could be the problem. The biggest problem really, is there are guesses without real knowledge of the conditions there were kept in.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Yes, it is a very well known fact to most of this forum that Redfoots are prone to problems with damp conditions. They do need the higher humidity but with a dry top layer of substrate. if this were a RF, most would probably agree that itoo wet of conditions could be the problem. The biggest problem really, is there are guesses without real knowledge of the conditions there were kept in.
Even someone with a "guess" is just trying to help the OP. I am pretty sure that people on this forum realize that you do not have to be an "expert" to come up with a great idea. In the end it is going to be up to people to decide for themselves. As I am sure most of you know of a vet, who was incorrect in his diagnosis. Even though it is not "sarcastic", some answers put down the member, almost calling names. I think people so compassionate to tortoises, should be more compassionate, to people who also care about them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even someone with a "guess" is just trying to help the OP. I am pretty sure that people on this forum realize that you do not have to be an "expert" to come up with a great idea. In the end it is going to be up to people to decide for themselves. As I am sure most of you know of a vet, who was incorrect in his diagnosis. Even though it is not "sarcastic", some answers put down the member, almost calling names. I think people so compassionate to tortoises, should be more compassionate, to people who also care about them.

I'm not arguing with you about the guesses. All I am saying, is it would be very helpful and really solve the arguing/discussion problems that seems to be going on if we had more details of the way they were kept. That is all anyone on the forum can do is guess at this point. Even with all the facts, we could still only guess, as we are not vets and even if we were, we don't have animal in hand to examine an run tests on. Personally, I would love to see more facts about the care posted by the OP so maybe we could get as close as possible to what the problem/cause is, even without being the vet on deck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, don't forget, the real feeling behind members posting gets lost in translation in typing. I am not trying to argue or call names. I would like to see some more facts about these tortoises and also proof of experience when someone wants to claim they know something. Even if it's not their experience but of someone they know, then that's fine with me, just state the details.
As you pointed out, vets can be wrong on their diagnosis and we know that happens a lot with tortoises. The one tortoise that AmRoKo says was diagnosed with being in too damp of conditions, could also be wrong. Common knowledge, that a lot of vets don't know about the humidity tortoises need.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a local pet store that frequently buys my hatchling sulcatas and has never had any issues. But they called me today about a customer that bought a pair of sulcatas a few weeks back. One is doing great and the other rapidly developed eye issues and swollen skin on the face. The customer brought it back hoping the pet store could aid the baby. Well the worker placed the sick baby with the other healthy babies and now two days later one of the stores babies is developing the same issues.

I can't diagnose it being I know so little about how the first infected baby was kept but I'm honestly puzzled at what it could possibly be?? Any thoughts??

The one of the left was the baby purchased and brought back, the other is the one that just started what seems to be a rapid decline.

Any expert opinions are welcomedView attachment 119478View attachment 119479View attachment 119480

Can you give us an update on their condition and if possible to get more detail on the way these two were being housed? Such a debate going on and with no real facts on the husbandry it's causing more hard feelings then is needed. Everyone is really interested in what becomes of this, what are the conditions that may have played a part in what caused it, if any treatment has been given and is anything working.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA

Thank you for the sage advice. I sometimes wish I had more than the 45 years of experience keeping reptiles I have.

If someone would be kind enough to ping me if the answers to my questions are posted, I would be appreciative.

Until then, adieu...