Have you ever seen this before? Not good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No. That's just the eyelid, swollen closed. That's what they look like. I really doubt it has anything to do with being too wet.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
No. That's just the eyelid, swollen closed. That's what they look like. I really doubt it has anything to do with being too wet.

There's an obvious yellow spot right on the the bottom eyelid. I also noticed that there might be a similar spot on his neck in the second picture, though it's not as good a shot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks like one of those lesions Tom was referring to (on the neck)

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
That looks like one of those lesions Tom was referring to (on the neck)

I see what looks like that also, but what I'm talking about on the second tortoise is on the "shadowy" area of the neck, though it kind of looks like it might be nothing. The spot on the eye of the first tortoise looks like the puss blisters tortoises can get from being kept to wet; like athletes foot for a human.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Wow, I just noticed the spots on the first tortoises neck, those are definitely the puss blisters they get from being kept to wet. I really hope hes getting help now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, I just noticed the spots on the first tortoises neck, those are definitely the puss blisters they get from being kept to wet. I really hope hes getting help now.

Have you had this happen before? I ask because it sounds like you are speaking from experience. I have kept them wet and never saw any of these problems. Dozens of them. How many of your tortoises have gotten lesions like this or infections like this from being too wet? What species?

I have seen those lesions on tortoises kept dry too.

Lastly, if those lesions and these other problems were due to a too wet environment, it is very unlikely they would transfer over to an animal that was being kept dry in a dry environment.

On the other hand, if this were a contagious disease from somewhere, I would expect it to jump to a new host just as it did. Just as I have seen it myself.

I point all this out so that we aren't sending the OP in the wrong direction in his investigation into what went on here.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Have you had this happen before? I ask because it sounds like you are speaking from experience. I have kept them wet and never saw any of these problems. Dozens of them. How many of your tortoises have gotten lesions like this or infections like this from being too wet? What species?

I have seen those lesions on tortoises kept dry too.

Lastly, if those lesions and these other problems were due to a too wet environment, it is very unlikely they would transfer over to an animal that was being kept dry in a dry environment.

On the other hand, if this were a contagious disease from somewhere, I would expect it to jump to a new host just as it did. Just as I have seen it myself.

I point all this out so that we aren't sending the OP in the wrong direction in his investigation into what went on here.

Well, its a bacterial fungal infection like athletes foot, so it could definitely jump from one to another just from contact. Last year while it constantly kept raining outside, and constant humidity, one of my torts got these blisters and I treated them just like one would treat shell rot and the blisters within a week fell off, that was the end of that.

Forgot to add, this tort was a sully who is currently very healthy.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I hate to say this, being the opinion of most people on this forum, agree with the people who feel too damp is no problem.I have kept and bred reptiles about 50 years. I owned a pet shop for 15 years that specialized in reptiles, and managed a reptile wholesale shop for 2 years.I am not trying to sound like a know it all, but I do have a little experience.Out here in AZ, I have not seen problems with too much humidity.Back in N.Y., it was common to see water blisters, fungus, raw spots, etc. on reptiles kept too damp. Being I worked on a study in N.J. on endangered non game species, It was fairly common to see,snakes that would come out of a too damp hibernation area in the spring with loads of sores and blisters.Fortunately, being snakes, most recovered after a few sheds.I don't say that that is the problem, but I think it is worth being considered. At least, I feel that the person suggesting the possibility, should not be ostracized.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I hate to say this, being the opinion of most people on this forum, agree with the people who feel too damp is no problem.I have kept and bred reptiles about 50 years. I owned a pet shop for 15 years that specialized in reptiles, and managed a reptile wholesale shop for 2 years.I am not trying to sound like a know it all, but I do have a little experience.Out here in AZ, I have not seen problems with too much humidity.Back in N.Y., it was common to see water blisters, fungus, raw spots, etc. on reptiles kept too damp. Being I worked on a study in N.J. on endangered non game species, It was fairly common to see,snakes that would come out of a too damp hibernation area in the spring with loads of sores and blisters.Fortunately, being snakes, most recovered after a few sheds.I don't say that that is the problem, but I think it is worth being considered. At least, I feel that the person suggesting the possibility, should not be ostracized.

Thank you Jskahn, wonderful information, I sometimes feel like I have been the only person on this forum to have witnessed these blisters or any problem associated with to much water or humidity, the environment here in Florida is definitely much different than Arizona.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thank you Jskahn, wonderful information, I sometimes feel like I have been the only person on this forum to have witnessed these blisters or any problem associated with to much water or humidity, the environment here in Florida is definitely much different than Arizona.

You are certainly one of the first (that I'm aware of) to share about these blisters from being too wet...That's why it's being probed. Not to ostracize you, to learn more.

I've witnessed shell rot on leopards....which is also uncommon but I never saw blisters.

Interesting about your Sulcata blister experience...

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
You are certainly one of the first (that I'm aware of) to share about these blisters from being too wet...That's why it's being probed. Not to ostracize you, to learn more.

I've witnessed shell rot on leopards....which is also uncommon but I never saw blisters.

Interesting about your Sulcata blister experience...

TortoiseTrust also has a writing about these blisters.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortoiseTrust also has a writing about these blisters.

Here is my problem with blaming this on wet conditions: Number one, we don't know if this tortoise was kept damp or dry. Number two, I and many others have raised hundreds of them in damp conditions and never experienced this issue. The one time I have seen this issue, it took a lot of time and money to definitively diagnose it as cryptosporidia and it had nothing to do with being wet or dry.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Here is my problem with blaming this on wet conditions: Number one, we don't know if this tortoise was kept damp or dry. Number two, I and many others have raised hundreds of them in damp conditions and never experienced this issue. The one time I have seen this issue, it took a lot of time and money to definitively diagnose it as cryptosporidia and it had nothing to do with being wet or dry.

Let's all stand around and not do anything, I offered up a solution that can very well help this tortoise, treatment is the same as treating shell rot, the poor baby also looks like he has double eye infections and has transferred those to the other tortoise so they need antibiotic drops, and, or ointment.

Just because "you and many others" haven't experienced something doesn't make that same something impossible. Really, it's not impossible to understand, it's just like getting athletes foot, so one should treat it as such. I am sorry that this goes against all that you know, but that's life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let's all stand around and not do anything, I offered up a solution that can very well help this tortoise, treatment is the same as treating shell rot, the poor baby also looks like he has double eye infections and has transferred those to the other tortoise so they need antibiotic drops, and, or ointment.

Just because "you and many others" haven't experienced something doesn't make that same something impossible. Really, it's not impossible to understand, it's just like getting athletes foot, so one should treat it as such. I am sorry that this goes against all that you know, but that's life.

Let's keep the scarcasism for some other time some other forum. We, so far anyone reading this thread, except one person, has never seen or heard of what you are talking about happening because of being too wet, specially a sulcata, So, you have experience with something like this, share instead of being sarcastic. That is what this forum is for. Unlike other places that just don't care what is done, right or wrong, we do like to learn things here. Just remember though, not really knowing who you are, we won't just take your word for it. Explain the conditions yours was In, etc, everything you can think of. This may be something prone to a high humidity state like florida, but would never happen in California? Let us in on what you went through.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
It would be great to find out what this particular problem is caused by. But I feel that it is more important to listen to other tortoise loving peoples opinion, without disrespecting them. Too many people get angry just because someone else has an opinion that disagrees with theirs. Egos should not be involved if someone disagrees with your "opinions". We all could always learn.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

This is what I am trying to say in my other post. Explain a little about yourself and others will feel they can trust your opinion, because you shared your experience. One of the reasons most trust atoms opinion, he shares everything with us. There has been others that open mouth, but share nothing, yet, expects us to listen to them.
I also think, if it is possible for too wet to be a problem, I'm guessing it may have to do a lot with location. Everyone does have to remember where they live and the conditions in their environment. Something get might work in AZ, might not work in FLA. Things that work in a totally different country may not work in this country, as some might think. Giving insight about your experiences will help others to take in and consider your thoughts, views and ideas.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
It would be great to find out what this particular problem is caused by. But I feel that it is more important to listen to other tortoise loving peoples opinion, without disrespecting them. Too many people get angry just because someone else has an opinion that disagrees with theirs. Egos should not be involved if someone disagrees with your "opinions". We all could always learn.

Exactly, perfectly put Jskahn.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

So far, only one has gotten sarcastic. Hopefully they can put that behind them and share with us the experience.