Have some questions/ Need tips about how to care for my baby Greek Tortoise!

Aerdna1202

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi everyone! I got my very first Tortoise yesterday his name is Pistachio! (Atleast I think it’s a boy!) I love him and already am very attached to him. I really need help on a couple things because I’m reading so many mixed things and I just want to give him the best care and life he deserves.

- What should the average temperature be in his enclosure? (The people at the reptile shop put the thermometer on the tank and marked in red what the average should be which is 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit but I just wanted a second opinion)

-What percentage of humidity would be adequate to maintain in the enclosure? (In the pic it is about 55% humid but it is usually over 60% humid)

-Is there anything in the enclosure that I should remove? (The upside down bowl under the lamp is something I was told to put there by the people at the reptile shop so Pistachio wouldn’t bask directly under the lamp because apparently he can pass away that way.)

-What is the best mix of greens/veggies/fruits that I should feed him? (Yesterday was the first day I got him so I only gave him some lettuce then he slept. Today he ate some more lettuce and in the pic there is a mix of dandelion greens, lettuce, radicchio, and collard greens. This mix was a little bit of what I was suggested and what I have read. It also has a bit of calcium sprinkled on top, but he hasn’t eaten that mix yet as he is asleep at the moment buried under the log.) If there is a green that I am giving him that I shouldn’t please let me know and please suggest some good mix of things that will help his diet!

-I also purchased Mazuri small tortoise diet ls little pellets and I plan to add a bit in his food twice a week, should I do that more frequently or would Mazuri be bad on his health?

-How long do I soak him for and what should the water temperature be? I was told 10-30 minutes in lukewarm water. He doesn’t always want to soak though and tends to walk off and try to nap.

-Is it normal for baby tortoises to sleep a lot?

I’m afraid of his enclosure either being too warm or too cold or too humid or too dry so any help would be greatly appreciated. I really really care about him and I just want to give him the best care he can get. My eyes water every time I think of possibly losing him. Thank you all so so much in advance for your help (will attach a pic of the enclosure and of Pistachio)❤️

Attachments

• 14BB6B7B-69DC-4C13-919E-AFA0CF219D5D.jpeg
    14BB6B7B-69DC-4C13-919E-AFA0CF219D5D.jpeg
    527.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 8C4DF2F4-6354-41CE-9CE1-5596534FF2FC.jpeg
    8C4DF2F4-6354-41CE-9CE1-5596534FF2FC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new baby!

Here is the care info. All of your questions are explained in detail here:

Questions are welcome. :)

Aerdna1202

California
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new baby!

Here is the care info. All of your questions are explained in detail here:

Questions are welcome. :)
Wow! This helped me feel so much better about caring for my little baby! I was super anxious about temperatures being too high or too low and humidity and such. It seems like overall I need to purchase a temperature gun to be able to see what the temps are in each side of the enclosure and replace the waterbowl I have for terracota saucers. Right now he only really eats once or twice a day Moves around for a couple hours and then just buries himself and sleeps the rest of the day. My only question is, is the red light for the night a bad thing for my lil guy? I keep hearing mixed Things about it

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Congrats on the new hatchling! He/she is adorable!

Here's a link to my website about my hatchling husbandry for Greek tortoises. I currently only work with the Testudo graeca, having 6 different subspecies that I am personally raising for my breeding program. I raise ALL my future breeders from hatchlings.

Good luck and enjoy your little one!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! This helped me feel so much better about caring for my little baby! I was super anxious about temperatures being too high or too low and humidity and such. It seems like overall I need to purchase a temperature gun to be able to see what the temps are in each side of the enclosure and replace the waterbowl I have for terracota saucers. Right now he only really eats once or twice a day Moves around for a couple hours and then just buries himself and sleeps the rest of the day. My only question is, is the red light for the night a bad thing for my lil guy? I keep hearing mixed Things about it
Yes. The red light should not be used. You shouldn't need night heat at all as long as your house ins't dropping below about 65 at night. If you do need night heat, or you want to run some anyway, use a CHE (ceramic heating element) and run it through a thermostat to keep over night low ambient temperature wherever you want it.

Aerdna1202

California
Yes. The red light should not be used. You shouldn't need night heat at all as long as your house ins't dropping below about 65 at night. If you do need night heat, or you want to run some anyway, use a CHE (ceramic heating element) and run it through a thermostat to keep over night low ambient temperature wherever you want it.
Great! My temperature in my room is about 70-75 degrees since it’s summertime. I’ll stop using that red light until the winter. Thanks a ton for the help!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Great! My temperature in my room is about 70-75 degrees since it’s summertime. I’ll stop using that red light until the winter. Thanks a ton for the help!
No, no. No red light ever!