Hatchling troubles continue

Jami

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying that I truly appreciate all of you, your responses to me, and the wealth of info on this forum.

I'm continuing to have trouble with my Herm hatchling. The bleeding spots don't look any better. He's grown some though and now the line at the bottom of his plastron is bigger and more visible.

His shell seems softer all over. Should I be putting calcium in his bath? Does it have to be liquid calcium when it's in his bath? His shell is springy especially late afternoon.

He's started walking as if he has to take giant steps. Like Frankenstein torty. He's still eating, basking, sleeping, pooping, peeing, drinking....I've read Toms wonderful posts on care sheets as well as Hatchling Failure Syndrome. He came from a reputable breeder who was very helpful. We've covered his enclosure, substrate (coco coir), his food (spring mix, dandelion, hosta, grass), his lighting (power sun mercury vapor lamp), though I do still have the mesh lid on for a lot of the day because I worry about the cats. I haven't cut a hole yet for the light to shine thru the screen. Do I need to do this?

Should I get him liquid calcium? What kind, how much, etc. please let me know what you think.

I appreciate your information and help. Thank you so much! Here are updated pics of the bleeding/bruising.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
He was asleep for these pics. That crazy left hind leg is always in a weird position!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
mesh screen? they scatter a ton of the usable UV light.

Jami

mesh screen? they scatter a ton of the usable UV light.
Ok, it was previously suggested that I cut it and that is my plan. I've been reluctant to do it because I still think he'd be vulnerable when I'm not here. The top is off when I'm home. Vulnerable is better than dead so I'll work on that.

Thanks for responding!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Are you using any form of calcium now? A little bit of powdered kind sprinkled over food would go a long way. I always put mine on their fav food so they eat it.

Jami

Are you using any form of calcium now? A little bit of powdered kind sprinkled over food would go a long way. I always put mine on their fav food so they eat it.
Hi. Thanks for responding. I do put it on his food and he will get it off or refuse to eat those pieces. He's got spunk for sure. I've got one powder w/ vitamins & d3 and one just calcium. I put him in the bath with the straight calcium this morning. He drank it and was not happy. But I know he got some in at least. I'm working on more time with the lid screen off and an alternate cove with a hole in the screen. I'm revamping his enclosure this week. Thanks again!

jaredherman

5 Year Member
You need to cut that screen out. If uv cant penetrate then the calcium does no good.

Jami

You need to cut that screen out. If uv cant penetrate then the calcium does no good.
Yep. That's the plan now. It was recommended earlier and I was really worried about it but it's gonna happen!

Thanks!