Hatchling soaks

Jenblalock003

Hi everyone! Just a quick question to make sure I'm doing this right. I have 2 6 week old sulcatas. I've been soaking them in the morning and evening for 10 each. It's always at least 65 humidity in their tank an I put water on their backs throughout the day. Am I soaking them enough?

Thanks everyone!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Im not a sulcata guy but Im sure thats enough, Im not sure twice a day is nec. maybe once a day would be enough. Someone that knows more about sulcatas will be along to let you know

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I would do it a little longer, say 20 minutes, if you can. That is what I do. And make sure the ambient temp goes no lower than 80 degrees because of the high humidity. If you can boost your humidity up to 80, that would be best. Once a week, I like to soak them with a few drops of bird vitamins, just because. Hoping that helps keep them strong (I have little leopards) kinda thing. The soaks are the best for our babies. Ahhhh spa time! : )

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I soak mine for an hour a day, then spray their shells and enclosure several times a day.
Now as for humidity it should stay about 70-85% I use a mix or orchid and cypress then underneath the orchid bark and cypress is a crap ton of moss. I pour about 1/2 cups to 1 cup of water down the side of the enclosure daily to ensure the moss is moist enough to provide the proper humidity..

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Jenablalock003, real quick. I just noticed that you have TWO babies. A lot of what I have read on TFO, two is a creepy tortoise number. Experts recommend 1 or 3, otherwise bullying, sometimes not even noticeable, happens and one of the two may even die. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that. Read more on it and perhaps either plan on separating them in the future few months, or plan on getting another little. To be safe and for everyone to be happy and thrive. : )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I normally soak once a day for about 20 minutes. The only time I would soak twice is if I were fighting a serious case of pyramiding, or if I soaked in the morning and then sunned them outside for hours on a very hot dry windy day.

Do your best to keep the soaking water warm and use a thermometer for your water. Don't go by how it feels.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I agree that one longer soak is better than two shorter soaks. One longer soak gives them a better chance to poop because of the extended time. I soak in the morning and mist in the afternoon.

I agree that one longer soak is better than two shorter soaks. One longer soak gives them a better chance to poop because of the extended time. I soak in the morning and mist in the afternoon.