Pumpkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hey everyone I keep reading about people giving and soaking their sulcatas in pumpkin, how do I go about doing this? We have pumpkins at our stores in Ohio for $4.00 so I'd like to get one, my best friend is also getting a hatchling tomorrow and I can't wait to meet her! So I figured we could share the pumpkin.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You cut a hole out of the top of the pumpkin then take out all the guts. Then put a little warm water in there and soak your tortoise in a pumpkin. :D

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Tom said:
You cut a hole out of the top of the pumpkin then take out all the guts. Then put a little warm water in there and soak your tortoise in a pumpkin. :D

Thanks Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry. I couldn't help myself... I was laughing out loud the whole time I was typing.

Okay, I'll be serious now. Sometimes when a tortoise is not doing well a soak in some pureed pumpkin, yam or carrot will help. Usually people just buy a jar of baby food and mix that with water for the soak.

Although, I guess in theory that you could ACTUALLY soak your tortoise IN a pumpkin, but I was just funnin'.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Tom said:
Sorry. I couldn't help myself... I was laughing out loud the whole time I was typing.

Okay, I'll be serious now. Sometimes when a tortoise is not doing well a soak in some pureed pumpkin, yam or carrot will help. Usually people just buy a jar of baby food and mix that with water for the soak.

Although, I guess in theory that you could ACTUALLY soak your tortoise IN a pumpkin, but I was just funnin'.

Harhar ;) my head is so full of other knowledge about the human body that I think it makes me slow in other areas. I'm ordering seed packets, cactus and mazuri on fri. I'm just trying to give her a varied diet. It's going to be to cold to take her outside soon.

richellesworld

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast - Texas
Tom said:

I LAUGHED SO HARD when you wrote the cutting the hole in the top part! Thanks for posting this though because I did not know you could add baby food and pumpkin to the water... Can you explain how that assists? I just want to understand the process and how the nutrients are getting into the TORTS.

Thanks a bunch!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There has been a fair amount of debate on this and different studies show different things. The people who use this technique swear by it. It is really not known exactly how many ways tortoises take in water. There is evidence to suggest that in addition to drinking they can take water in through their cloaca and skin. So by having them sit in water infused with pureed veggies or fruit, your tortoise is absorbing some of the nutrients along with the water.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
I'd like to know if pumpkins are safe too. I bought my little guy a pie pumpkin and gave him a small piece and he seemed to enjoy it. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pumpkin is fine once in a while for most species. Pumpkin pie is processed and full of all sorts of other stuff. I wouldn't feed that.

For small tortoises I grate it up and mix it with greens. For my adult sulcatas, I just drop a whole pumpkin in with them and they make it disappear. :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:

When I read this I was like: "I didn't know thats how you do it?!" :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of my tortoises are of the LARGE variety, so when pumpkin is plentiful, I buy a few to feed to them. I just wash off the outside, then raise the pumpkin up over my head and slam it down on the ground. This usually breaks it up into a few pieces and the tortoises can then get a bite-hold. They eat seeds and all.

The only time I actually soak my tortoise in something, it is baby tortoises or sick tortoises, and I use the red flavor baby food. Gerber strained carrots, sweet potatoes or squash. Actually, the carrots contains the most vitamin A, and I use that flavor the most. If you have a tortoise or box turtle with swollen eyes, the baby food soaks never fail to help the animal.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
emysemys said:
Most of my tortoises are of the LARGE variety, so when pumpkin is plentiful, I buy a few to feed to them. I just wash off the outside, then raise the pumpkin up over my head and slam it down on the ground. This usually breaks it up into a few pieces and the tortoises can then get a bite-hold. They eat seeds and all.

The only time I actually soak my tortoise in something, it is baby tortoises or sick tortoises, and I use the red flavor baby food. Gerber strained carrots, sweet potatoes or squash. Actually, the carrots contains the most vitamin A, and I use that flavor the most. If you have a tortoise or box turtle with swollen eyes, the baby food soaks never fail to help the animal.

I liked the part when you slammed it :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, its best to do this on a day when things are starting to get to you. Great aggression release.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:

:rolleyes:

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Xander said:
Love it! Too funny.

I might be blonde but I'm genuinely checking this as it differs for each species of tortoise with food consumption so thinking it might be different for absorption ? So I'll ask the question again :L

Alan RF said:
Does this pumpkin and baby food soaking apply to all tortoises? Eg red doors? :)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
When I read this I was like: "I didn't know thats how you do it?!" :p

Haha! I was like...WAIT! WHAT???? I thought it was purée pumpkin....glad you specified.....I was about to get a pumpkin! Thought maybe it help humidity better or something!!!! LMAO. Tom, you gotta be careful with some of us on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.