Hatchling shell

dbrown2572

Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert, AZ
I have two hatchlings that are 4-5 weeks old. I notice their shells look different. To me, the darker one has more pronounced lines between scutes so it looks almost double lined. The lighter one seems like it has more single lines and kind of whitish. Can anyone tell me which ones shell looks healthiest?

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They both look good to me. Just minor color variations.

dbrown2572

Gilbert, AZ
I was afraid the lighter one was dry since it isn't as prominent. I had unexpected babies and am keeping one of these. Of course want to keep the one that looks healthiest.

dbrown2572

Gilbert, AZ
Tom, I was just reading on other threads. I saw where you told someone that pairs are not a good idea, to either separate or get a 3rd. I have 3 babies left and getting rid of one today. Should I keep all 3? I have 2 adults outside and just won't have room for 3 more when they get big.

dbrown2572

Gilbert, AZ
This is 3rd one that I am for sure keeping. It was first one out (naturally hatched). I had no idea there were eggs. This was first baby tort I have ever seen so it was love after the shock was over!

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Definitely not good in pairs. If you want to keep two of them, just set up separate enclosures.