hatchling not eatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I just got him yesterday, some ppl said need time for him to adjust the new environment, but does he hungry at all??????

I already gave him a soak this morning(he made a poop) and put him in front of foods.

he just took a few bites then walk away wondering around, how come he didnt eat some more

and now, he is still inside his hide. I just changed his foods since all vege got got dry out from the heat.

I am sure temp are right, basking:95, humi hide:85, cool end:75-78

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
He's so new. Tortoises can weeks to adjust to a new home. Everything and everyone is strange and scary at the moment :)

Get into a routine with him so he knows what to expect and when and he'll soon settle in.

In the morning, put the lights on and the heat on, leave for an hour or so and then soak. Feed straight after soaking. With the same things happening at the same time each day it reduces stress. The soak also lets your tort get used to being handled by you.

My soaking tips are:

1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I agree, you just got him! Relax and just let him adjust. He'll come around, leave him alone. You're stressing yourself, (and probably the tort), for nothing. Give him some time :)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Hes stressed out from the big move, they usally wont eat, and wont be that active for a couple days to week.
Its fine just leave out fresh food and water daily just in case :)

HtVic

5 Year Member
:(thank you guys
Do I need to do something about his foods? According to the breeder, he is eating green everyday

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
i doubt you need to do anything about the food, well what are you feeding?
The Tort will come around soon :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you are feeding what the breeder did that is fine for the moment. It will be something familiar to get him going. Once he's eating then you can change things and make sure he is definitely getting the healthiest diet.

Your daytime temps look fine. What temperature do you have overnight?

HtVic

5 Year Member
overnight temps are: he sleeps inside his humi hide, so inside is around 85
I have night heat light on one side around 80s as well, the other end is high 70s, low 80s

I am giving him 2 pieces of mazuri, collard, green-leaf lettuce, radicchio, dandelion, all mixed together
I think I will get some more veges, make it more variety.

by the way, I have to change it every couple hours, since he dont eat now, foods get very very fast

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
try buying a tray of "living lettuce" from your supermarket. because the lettuce is growing in soil, you can just place it in the enclosure and remember to water it regularly. Your little tort may choose to browse it and it saves putting out fresh veggies constantly.

A small number of soaked pellets can also be left for a long time in an enclosure in case he fancies a nibble.

Don't put too much in the enclosure in one go. Take a little of each, chop it small, rinse it (the damp helps it keep longer) and put in a pile about the size of your tort's shell. Put the rest in a plastic bag in the fridge where it will keep better.

HtVic

5 Year Member
okay
thanks so much
thank you for all the helps
I will keep it update

Status
Not open for further replies.