Hatchling failure??

Chelseyrf

Location (City and/or State)
PORTSMOUTH
I bought my sulcata from underground reptiles before reading reviews :-/
At first the little guy seemed okay although hes never been a big eater unless outside.
Now though hes wanting to sleep a lot, only opens his eyes outside and they seem very watery, his shell is feeling softer so much so that I can feel when he pulls himself inside if im holding him, and I really dont think hes grown at all in the month Ive had him.
I soak hin for 30 minutes a day and have recently started the carrot baths in hopes of helping him.
I have a ridculous amount of tortoise blen food and give him calcium 3 times a week he also has a cutle bone but he just lays on it.
He has a uva and uvb light and a ceramic heater for night time, he has a coconut coir substrate, he has a hiding spot, a basking spot and a water dish inside his enclosure..
Is there anything I can do? Does this sound like hatchling failure?
My daughter is going to be crushed if he doesnt make it

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Unfortunately it does sound like hatchling failure. It looks like you're doing what can be done.

What kind of UVB bulb are you using? If it is a curly or u-shaped bulb, that could be why he won't open his eyes. The only UVB that should be used is the fluorescent tube type. If you are using a curly or CFL type, turn it off immediately, and leave it off. He'll be just fine until you get a tube.

Double check your temps in the enclosure. Make sure they are correct. Basking 95-100°. Ambient never below 80° day or night. In fact, you could raise the ambient to 85° while he's sick.

In addition to the baby food carrots, you could also add some unflavored Pedialyte to his soaks.

Have you been weighing him? Please do, and weigh him in grams. It's vital that his weight is monitored closely right now.

For now, I can't think of anything else. I'll be praying for your little one.