Has anyone ever used these to warm a greenhouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I found this online and thought that it might be a good idea to place at the bottom of my coldframe on nights that florida is going to be in the 60's. I plan on bringing my tort in when it's below those temperatures, but was looking for an alternative to warming my greenhouse without using an electrical source and thought that perhaps this might be useful? Does anyone have any suggestions on something else if it is not a good idea? Florida spring, summer, and fall will not need additional heating, and the winters are mild, so would this item help bring the temperature up in the green house to about 70?

http://cozywinters.com/shop/kh-3111.html

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Depending on the size of your coldframe and the # of warmers, that could work well. You would have to test it out over a couple of nights with a digital thermometer in there, one that has the 'high' and 'low' temps for the past 24 hours recorded.
Greenhouse bubblewrap against the walls inside the cold frame (or greenhouse) has worked very well for me to add extra insulation. It can be found on greenhouse supply sites and is not the same as the packing kind.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
lynnedit said:
Depending on the size of your coldframe and the # of warmers, that could work well. You would have to test it out over a couple of nights with a digital thermometer in there, one that has the 'high' and 'low' temps for the past 24 hours recorded.
Greenhouse bubblewrap against the walls inside the cold frame (or greenhouse) has worked very well for me to add extra insulation. It can be found on greenhouse supply sites and is not the same as the packing kind.

Thanks, I think I'm going to test it out next winter just to make sure, since our temps are not going to be back in the 40-60 range any time soon lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Years ago before I lived where I do now, I had a lean-to type green house up against the back wall of the garage. I had 6 55 gallon drums under the shelf that I had my plants on, and up against the west wall of the green house. They were filled with water. During the day the sun shined on that part of the green house all day long and the water in the drums got pretty hot. Then at night the heat from the hot water kept the green house from freezing.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Yvonne G said:
Years ago before I lived where I do now, I had a lean-to type green house up against the back wall of the garage. I had 6 55 gallon drums under the shelf that I had my plants on, and up against the west wall of the green house. They were filled with water. During the day the sun shined on that part of the green house all day long and the water in the drums got pretty hot. Then at night the heat from the hot water kept the green house from freezing.

I was thinking about using that method as well, but the tricky part is I have to have a structure that's below my fence line, so finding a coldframe that's short ultimately mean my coldframe that I've been planning on purchasing is small (3ftx3ft). It enough cuts down on the amount of space I will actually have to utilize. That's why I thought these might work out well since they're pretty compact and I wouldn't have to take up most of my space trying to fit in a large container of water. Do you thing milk or soda jugs would do the same? I could probably figure out a way to fit those in there without taking up all the space for the torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.