Greenhouse troubles.

Location (City and/or State)
midwest USA
I recently got a mini greenhouse for my tortoise to have proper temps, and humidity. However something dawned on me as i got the greenhouse. How am i going to make sure all the electrical things can run due to the greenhouse obscuring the outlet? I really wanna get this greenhouse set up, so any help would be appreciated!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Most greenhouses sold these days are made with the intention of having grow lights and other things running in them. There isn’t anything built into it to run cables through? If there isn’t, I guess your have to cut some holes in it to run the cables and seal those holes back up. I don’t have any personal experience with this, but maybe if you post some pictures of what your greenhouse looks like, someone will be able to give you some better advice. There’s many different kinds of greenhouses, so knowing what you have will be important for anyone to help. Good for you for working towards improving your tortoises life, that’s awesome! ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had a greenhouse similar to yours, may have been the same one. I ran an extension cord at the bottom of the door. In fact on all mine I have used, I ran the cord in the door and zipped the door closed to the point of the cord. The cord being placed where the zipper ends when closed. It leaves such a tiny space that it is of no importance.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Your problem can be solved by wrapping the cord around the frame and taping it down the side of the wall and then having it go under it. Cutting a hole might work, but you would most likely want to seal it.

if the cord is too short, use an extension cord or something like that or move the device closer to the outlet. If there is no frame or electrical cable supports, you can tape it or just let it have some slack as long as it doesn't interfere with anything.

I came across these problems while rigging the lighting setup for my own enclosure, which is a small greenhouse over a spill tray. I found that using the frame and other resources can help a lot, but as long as the cables do not pose a threat to the tortoise you can take some liberties, like allowing the cable to run diagonally in the canopy.

Hopefully I've helped and good luck to you and your chelonian friend!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thank you, yvonne warned me that cutting a hole in the greenhouse would cause a chimney effect, which wouldnt be great. Heres the link to the greenhouse Greenhouse link
Yes, that is correct. This is why I said you’d need to seal it back up after the cords are run. I looked at your link and the type of greenhouse you got is not the type I was envisioning. The ones we usually see on here are fully enclosed with 4 walls, a ceiling and a floor. It doesn’t appear as yours has a floor on it, so that may cause some issues with the heat and humidity getting sucked out too. if this greenhouse doesn’t have a floor, can you just run the cables under the seams?

midwest USA
Yes, that is correct. This is why I said you’d need to seal it back up after the cords are run. I looked at your link and the type of greenhouse you got is not the type I was envisioning. The ones we usually see on here are fully enclosed with 4 walls, a ceiling and a floor. It doesn’t appear as yours has a floor on it, so that may cause some issues with the heat and humidity getting sucked out too. if this greenhouse doesn’t have a floor, can you just run the cables under the seams?
i see, i suppose running em under wouldnt cause much of an issue. Ill use that idea as well if the others dont work.