Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
What's the take on handling?

By this I mean, I have a 10 yr old son who likes picking them up & chatting away to them. He's sensible in the sense that he wouldn't drop them or put them in any danger.

They are captive bred (if that's the right term) & don't mind being picked up at all.

Is it ok for him to do this? I'm aware these are not domestic animals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Opinions vary. Lots of handling desensitizes them and makes it to where lots of handling doesn't bother them how stressful this process is depends upon many factors including that individual tortoise and his history and exactly how the tortoise is handled. They tend to do better if you let them let them have their feet on something like your hand or a tub.

Others prefer to handle them only when necessary.

I'm in the middle. I handle mine regularly. Daily soaks, moving them in and out for sunning, checking them out, etc... I don't spend much time cuddling or chatting them up though... :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm in the middle too. My teenagers have grown up with Joe... they have always handled him and moved him around, but there's a strict two hands rule! It's always been emphasised that he's not a toy... and you don't play with him!

Joe's never been that cuddly... he'll butt you somewhere painful.

When we have children visiting, the only person who picks Joe up is me... usually to move him away from trouble. It saves accidents.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am kinda in the middle too I think. However, I do pick mine up and will talk to him and kiss is cute little face. I think it does depend on the tort. If they always seem very stressed, it might be best to not do it as much. On the other hand, the handling might help the tort to get over the shyness of it. I also don't let anyone pick Tatum up. I do that and hand him to them and I don't let little kids hold him. Made that mistake when I first got him and they dropped him. Luckily, they were on their knees and it was on my carpeted floor. Not a long drop at all, but was enough for me:)

Status
Not open for further replies.