First time tortoise owner, have a question about handling

[email protected].

Location (City and/or State)
Cardiff
I've had my little Hermann's since November and I love him like a son. He's healthy and active so I think I have any concerns there, however I have some questions around handling him. Now once a week I take him to my mothers who has a huge garden and I let him roam around, however he loves getting himself in danger so I have to keep rescuing him and plopping him down somewhere safe. This is the same when I let him wander around my balcony (as I don't have a garden) which I do twice a week or so. I just heard that torts don't like being handled however is picking him up to get him out of trouble ok?

nicoleann2214

NY
I've had my little Hermann's since November and I love him like a son. He's healthy and active so I think I have any concerns there, however I have some questions around handling him. Now once a week I take him to my mothers who has a huge garden and I let him roam around, however he loves getting himself in danger so I have to keep rescuing him and plopping him down somewhere safe. This is the same when I let him wander around my balcony (as I don't have a garden) which I do twice a week or so. I just heard that torts don't like being handled however is picking him up to get him out of trouble ok?
Handling is ok. Although I wouldn’t let a turtle roam around on a balcony...

Reactions: Ink

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum!

Most torts aren't as sensitive about handling as some reptiles. Unnecessary handling is discouraged (like daily photo ops in costumes, or being carried around town for no reason). Soaking, weighing, and going outdoors are good. As long as he's coming out of his shell right after you spook him, and eating normally at home, you're okay.

There are plenty of threads about adventurous torts that may be able to give you an idea on how to turtle-proof the garden/balcony :D

[email protected].

Cardiff
Handling is ok. Although I wouldn’t let a turtle roam around on a balcony...
Welcome to the forum!

Most torts aren't as sensitive about handling as some reptiles. Unnecessary handling is discouraged (like daily photo ops in costumes, or being carried around town for no reason). Soaking, weighing, and going outdoors are good. As long as he's coming out of his shell right after you spook him, and eating normally at home, you're okay.

There are plenty of threads about adventurous torts that may be able to give you an idea on how to turtle-proof the garden/balcony :D

Thank you so much for your response. Yeah he pops out of the shell and continues on his adventure straight after. That's a weight off my chest, I thought he would hate being picked up but thanks for easing my mind

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
just be careful.. they are sneaky lil dudes lol turn ur head for 3 seconds and they are gone. U can simply get a kiddie pool and plant some seeds .. easy temp outdoor enclosure for him

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I handle my tortoises all the time...how else is he going to get used to you and trusts you. I have handled my Sulcata since they were small...and I can even hold a head and open his mouth...important if I ever have to give oral meds...but yes, I think that handling him is important...

L

LasTortugasNinja

I took my tortoise out to play pickleball. I beat him soundly. Then he challenged me to a blinking contest... he won. Then we challenged the neighbors to shuffleboard. There are lots of ways to engage a tortoise. ;) ?

About mom's garden.... make sure mom knows not to spray her weeds or flowers, and be careful she only uses natural organic fertilizers. A lot of the super growth nitrogen fertilizers end up building up in the greens, and can wreck havoc in the tummies of tortoises.

KronksMom

Illinois
If I rub Kronk's butt, he'll lay his adorable little head right on my other hand and I can watch his tiny eyes flutter closed. He definitely doesn't mind being handled. I mean, when he's in the mood. There are certainly times when he just wants to stomp around the yard and doesn't want me to keep pulling him back, which is why he has a leash. We don't have a secure area for him outside, and they are made to camouflage, you know, so I worry he would get lost. So, he wears a leash, and we take walks around the neighborhood. The neighbors (especially the kids!) love it! They think I'm a weirdo, but I'm comfortable with that.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I handle all of my tortoises. My hatchlings are handled as soon as they hatch. Before I put them in for their daily soak I hold them in my hand and talk to them and gently stroke their shells.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@[email protected]. Please understand that Maggie, Kronksmom and chubbs are kidding around. They forget they're NOT on the 'no moderators' thread.

When you handle a small tortoise place him on your palm so his whole body is supported. Try to think about if a giant picked you up how would you feel. It's good to handle your tortoise and get him over his fear of humans.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I handle my Russian tortoise, Merlina all the time. She is very friendly and will come over when I put my hand in her enclosure and climb into my hand. She will sit there and look up into my face.

Reactions: Ink

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
@[email protected]. Please understand that Maggie, Kronksmom and chubbs are kidding around. They forget they're NOT on the 'no moderators' thread.

When you handle a small tortoise place him on your palm so his whole body is supported. Try to think about if a giant picked you up how would you feel. It's good to handle your tortoise and get him over his fear of humans.
My apologies