Can tortoises be moody?

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
Hi

I’ve only had Sebastian nearly 3 months, he’s a nearly 4 year old male horsefield.

I’ve noticed that on some days he seems “friendlier” (for wont of a better word) than others.
For example, some days he’ll come towards my hand, sniff it and happily potter about with my hand in his table and happily be hand fed.

Other days, he’ll flinch when I put his food down or when he sees me and won’t come near me and wees when I put my hand in his table and scampers to his hides and once there will just glare at me like a moody teenager.

His previous owners both under and over handled him by turns I think so I’m not sure if it’s still because of this.

I think hes has become less nervous/scared of me over the few months I’ve had him but, he does seem more “friendly” on some days than others and some days downright moody and it’s left me wondering if I’m unintentionally doing things that scare him. Or is it normal that some days he’s not in the mood to be handled at all? Or is it just that I need to be more patient? Could a strict routine be beneficial?

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any tips for helping me make him more accustomed to me without scaring him? I realise he’ll never be like a puppy or crave affection but I just don’t want to upset him and would like him to be as tolerant of my presence as possible.

I pick him up three times per week for his baths and otherwise try to keep handling of that nature to a minimum. I put my hand in his table daily and obviously clean out any mess each day whilst he’s in there.

Please let me know if I’m doing something wrong/anything to change :)

Thank you

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi Kelly [emoji851]
Welcome to TFO.
As you have experienced, they all have their own little personalities. I have 3 sulcatas and they can be quite moody. I think that’s the charm of being a tortoise keeper [emoji1]
Russian tortoises are full of personality too. Check your temps and humidity and if those are ok, check to see if there is anything in his enclosure stressing him out. Like have you moved things around or added anything new.
Handling him more won’t make him less sensitive, but a set routine is a very good idea
Good luck and happy tortoise keeping [emoji851]

Last edited:

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Hi Kelly [emoji851]
Welcome to TFO.
As you have experienced, they all have their own little personalities. I have 3 sulcatas and they can be quite moody. I think that’s the charm of being a tortoise keeper [emoji1]
Russian tortoises are full of personality too. Check your temps and humidity and if those are ok, check to see if there is anything in his enclosure stressing him out. Like have you moved things around or added anything new.
Handling him more won’t make him less sensitive, but a set routine is a very good idea
Good luck and happy tortoise keeping [emoji851]

Hi, thanks,

I hadn’t really considered that this might just be his personality and some days, like a lot of animals, he might just want to be left on his own haha! Thank you for that :)

I think my temps etc are fine (I’ve been following the caresheets on this forum and have received some brilliant advice from members on here)

I put a living lettuce in 2 days ago (I’ve done this before) but that day he was very (I’m not sure how to describe it really) “interactive” ie, stomping all over the lettuce, coming over to my hand for chin tickles and head strokes etc.

I think my concern comes from the fact I’m mostly just a worry wort, plus he’s my first tortoise and he’s been a little ill when I i first got him (lots of worms and a soft shell) so I always worry if he changes his behaviour it’s a bad sign.

Could his age affect his behaviour? Shortly after I got him he started “flashing his manhood” so I presume his hormones may be changing and puberty might be on the horizon?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi, thanks,

I hadn’t really considered that this might just be his personality and some days, like a lot of animals, he might just want to be left on his own haha! Thank you for that :)

I think my temps etc are fine (I’ve been following the caresheets on this forum and have received some brilliant advice from members on here)

I put a living lettuce in 2 days ago (I’ve done this before) but that day he was very (I’m not sure how to describe it really) “interactive” ie, stomping all over the lettuce, coming over to my hand for chin tickles and head strokes etc.

I think my concern comes from the fact I’m mostly just a worry wort, plus he’s my first tortoise and he’s been a little ill when I i first got him (lots of worms and a soft shell) so I always worry if he changes his behaviour it’s a bad sign.

Could his age affect his behaviour? Shortly after I got him he started “flashing his manhood” so I presume his hormones may be changing and puberty might be on the horizon?

That could easily be his age [emoji38]
LOL
All kidding aside, I would keep an eye on him especially if he is still recovering from an illness. It sounds like you’re doing a good job [emoji851]

Kelly.324

Durham UK
That could easily be his age [emoji38]
LOL
All kidding aside, I would keep an eye on him especially if he is still recovering from an illness. It sounds like you’re doing a good job [emoji851]

Thanks, I am doing [emoji4] and he’s on the mend, the worms have cleared up and I’ve got new uv lights and supplements to help address his soft shell.

I’m definitely learning tortoises have their own little personalities but I think as he’s my first and only one I’m just never sure on things like this yet. And it’s the kind of query, the do they have personalities on, that you can’t really get information on from a vet or book etc, it’s more anecdotal and so that’s why I thought I’d ask here [emoji846]

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Thanks, I am doing [emoji4] and he’s on the mend, the worms have cleared up and I’ve got new uv lights and supplements to help address his soft shell.

I’m definitely learning tortoises have their own little personalities but I think as he’s my first and only one I’m just never sure on things like this yet. And it’s the kind of query, the do they have personalities on, that you can’t really get information on from a vet or book etc, it’s more anecdotal and so that’s why I thought I’d ask here [emoji846]

No problem [emoji851]
Always feel free to ask.

Burts mom

Port Orchard, WA
Hi

I’ve only had Sebastian nearly 3 months, he’s a nearly 4 year old male horsefield.

I’ve noticed that on some days he seems “friendlier” (for wont of a better word) than others.
For example, some days he’ll come towards my hand, sniff it and happily potter about with my hand in his table and happily be hand fed.

Other days, he’ll flinch when I put his food down or when he sees me and won’t come near me and wees when I put my hand in his table and scampers to his hides and once there will just glare at me like a moody teenager.

His previous owners both under and over handled him by turns I think so I’m not sure if it’s still because of this.

I think hes has become less nervous/scared of me over the few months I’ve had him but, he does seem more “friendly” on some days than others and some days downright moody and it’s left me wondering if I’m unintentionally doing things that scare him. Or is it normal that some days he’s not in the mood to be handled at all? Or is it just that I need to be more patient? Could a strict routine be beneficial?

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any tips for helping me make him more accustomed to me without scaring him? I realise he’ll never be like a puppy or crave affection but I just don’t want to upset him and would like him to be as tolerant of my presence as possible.

I pick him up three times per week for his baths and otherwise try to keep handling of that nature to a minimum. I put my hand in his table daily and obviously clean out any mess each day whilst he’s in there.

Please let me know if I’m doing something wrong/anything to change :)

Thank you
Mine gets moody if I'm late feeding him, he usually eats at 7am everyday but every once and a while I get up late on my day off or something and he is always just sitting in his feeding spot waiting on me to hurry up

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Mine gets moody if I'm late feeding him, he usually eats at 7am everyday but every once and a while I get up late on my day off or something and he is always just sitting in his feeding spot waiting on me to hurry up

There just seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when or why Sebastian’s moody which is why I wondered if it’s not so much moodiness but that something is stressing him out. I’m pleased to here it’s just a tortoise thing and part of their personalities.
Haha I bet Berts really glaring at you when he’s waiting for his food!

Burts mom

Port Orchard, WA
There just seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when or why Sebastian’s moody which is why I wondered if it’s not so much moodiness but that something is stressing him out. I’m pleased to here it’s just a tortoise thing and part of their personalities.
Haha I bet Berts really glaring at you when he’s waiting for his food!
Yup, my husband didn't believe me until yesterday when he got up before me and Burt was just sitting there waiting on his food mean muggin lol cause I slept in

LeanneW

Oxford
Ha! they most certainly can be!
our Hermanns is 4 months old and everytime i move her house change her bedding she sulks for a good week before i am forgiven!