Hand feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNcoldblood

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
So my hatchling has a hard time eating. If left to eat on his own he is an air biter, I have resorted to holding his food for him then he will eat his fill. Is this normal? If I do not hold food for her then she will give up and not eat. Has anybody gone thru this before and how to teach her to eat on her own?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What type of tortoise do you have? What type of bowl are you feeding from? Can you post a picture of your tortoise attempting to eat? I would stop hand feeding, your tortoise will find the food if its easily accessible, and eat on its own . Maybe it's uncomfortable for it to eat because of the way the bowl is position or something.

MNcoldblood

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hatchling RF feed on a butter lid flat plastic country crock to be exact. I feed variety of lettuce and fruit he try's just misses the lettuce and bites the air. I try to rip it up so that it is not flat and more fully piled that seemes to help a little just worried that he dosn't get enuf and stops from frustration.

MNcoldblood

5 Year Member
Minnesota
maybe I don't think so tho he will pull into his shell if approached to quickly so he must see some at least. I think he is just clumbsy and hoping that he will grow out of it. My other torts are such piggys I have not dealt with this before.

MNcoldblood

5 Year Member
Minnesota
So Littlefoot is now eating all on his her own still a little slow but eating solo

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
My hatchling would swing and miss occasionally as well, from 2-3 months old. He's now 4.5 months old and doesn't do it any longer. It seemed like a depth perception thing that he figured out.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Most of the young hatchlings I hatch do the exact same thing
( although I DO NOT hand feed them …not wanting to start a “habit” for eating regimes ) some do it more than others and as they develop it eventually stops. I would assume a " learning period ..of eating etiquette" This of course there are no eye problems and or equilibrium hardships.

How old is your little guy? ..... I would imagine from your post he is quite young .

JD~:)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Sometimes my juvenile CDTs have this issue, too, and they've had plenty of time to learn to eat. It almost seems like a depth perception problem. I've noticed they have the easiest time when I pile the food high and when I bury their food dish (a ceramic plant tray twice the size of their bodies) deep in their enclosure so they can climb right into it.

Just curious, why is hand feeding bad? I do it from time to time cause I enjoy the interaction -- is it a bad habit?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I enjoy hand feeding my torts too…..:)
With an Older tortoise ...I don’t see a problem with hand feeding. Although with hatchling type animals as the thread suggests, I would not want to interfere with the natural instincts , learning type habits of eating and food selection, competition for food (if more than one) all which will make the success of a young strong baby/Jr. tortoise. Too much "hand care" when young may lead too disastrous results if "one" cannot provide those at ALL times. They learn very fast and from the egg to 3 weeks of age know the exact feeding times -
JD~:shy:

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Grrrr...i asked this a month ago and no one yelled at me and told me not to?...slackers, lol.. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
it's just my opinion .....some may think different and have different results. :)

MNcoldblood

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Well I got littlefoot 2 weeks ago and he still had some yolk sack attatched that finnaly wore off this week. It finnaly warmed up this week so after work every day I have been brining her out to the yard to the clover patch for a fresh meal. And some natural sun time. We sit out for a half hour and by tuesday no eating problems. She really likes the out door time. Now to make a hatchling pen for the summer day's. I guess I don't know how old but I am assuming under 2 months but you know what they say about assumptions.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
the yolk sac is usually absorbed within 5-10 days .....I believe your tort is a lot younger than what was told to you.

MNcoldblood

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Wouldn't suprise me a friend bought it for me at a reptile show was totally dehidrated and couldn't even open its eyes crusted shut. He knew I was the tortoise guy (not really have a russian and a greek) but this hatchling RF is a whole new world for me. Just hope I am up to the challenge. I would not have bought a hatchling or a redfoot as I live in MN and summer is just to short here for a redfoot in my opinion. But I have one now and must do whatever possible to give it the best life I can afford. This forum has helped alot it surley would have died already if not for the info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.