Why wont my tortoise eat out of my hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Longisland (Southampton) NY
I see all these pictures of people feeding their tortoises food out of their hand but my new tortoise, Lucy, is afraid of me and will never do it. How can i get her to eat out of my hand and to trust me better?

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
redfoottorts said:
I see all these pictures of people feeding their tortoises food out of their hand but my new tortoise, Lucy, is afraid of me and will never do it. How can i get her to eat out of my hand and to trust me better?

I wanna say just TIME. How long have you had her? My boxie still doesn't eat out of my hand but she is starting not to retreat in her shell when I put treats in front of her. She is also just now starting to get used to eating in front of me. Took about 4 months but she is coming around slowly but surely.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think Shaun is right. Lucy just needs some time. I have a little Three Toed who I got when she was three years old, and it's a year now, and she is so shy and elusive. She never eats out of my hand. My little Eastern Boxie will eat out of my hand or anyone else's who will give her a treat. Then there's Pio, my Cherry Head. He will eat from anyone's hand also, but you have to be careful with him as he's isn't very gentle, and will nip your finger in his attempt to get the food. So, they are all different. But in Lucy's case, I thing she just needs time.

cordell

5 Year Member
Try strawberries. I cut some up for Dots and he didnt think twice about chomping down on them. Though about halfway through I could tell he realized what was going on but by then he felt OK and finished them up! Even took a nip at my palm when the strawberry was all gone, lol. I have a boxie that will run to the food but will not take it from my hand. The second I set it down he will grab it though. Kind of frustrates me but some just dont eat from the hand.

cordell

Status
Not open for further replies.