Guesses on sex of this tortoise at petco please

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
This is gonna sound harsh no matter how I phrase it, but if you can only save one, then always choose females, over males. Sorry fellow males.
So, I think I'm right, but that's because females are less desirable, correct? The grow 'bigger' and all. o_O

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
She dominated 2 meals already today. All her stuff is throwawayables in her quarantine home. Hence the kleenex box home haha. She dug down for the night there. I removed if cuz I was scared of it being so close to heat. So i moved it.

Attachments

• 1418067411582.jpg
    1418067411582.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 1418067433421.jpg
    1418067433421.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1418067503638.jpg
    1418067503638.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 16

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
disney
So, I think I'm right, but that's because females are less desirable, correct? The grow 'bigger' and all. o_O
Females are more desireable to breeders, one male can handle multiple females. To the average keeper the fact that males are smaller might be a plus.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
I would say females are more desirable because you can house multiple females together but it is quite dangerous to keep multiple males together due to high territorial aggression. You would need a ratio of at least 1:3 and a very large enclosure to keep multiple males.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would say females are more desirable because you can house multiple females together but it is quite dangerous to keep multiple males together due to high territorial aggression. You would need a ratio of at least 1:3 and a very large enclosure to keep multiple males.
I always thought it wasn't good to put two Russians together even if they were both female. Or are you talking groups of females like three or more? I ask because I was offered a female Russian but I turned it down, I have a female but I thought it was a big no-no to have two of them.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
1 male to 3 females and you're correct, if your going to have multiple females its best to keep 3 or more. You will always have a matriarch that literally pushes the more timid torts around but with multiple females the aggression/stress is spread out and no one gets hurt.

In my experience with multiple females this aggression only lasts for a week or so, possibly less.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Well I am only going to have 2. One male and one female. And they will always be separated in there separate habitats. She is currently in quarantine for the next couple months, until I feel she is healthy and won't pass anything on to him. Then I'll meet them under supervision to be friends and say hi :)