Any help to sex this tort?

Alyssa

5 Year Member
I know that this tortoise may be a little young to definitely tell the sex, but based on these pics can anyone make an educated guess? Based on the first pic I thought maybe male, but based on the second I started leaning towards female, although the pic isn't the greatest.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399230813.474251.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399230832.344445.jpg

yillt

I would say female. But I'm not completely sure. Please could you put a photo of your tort from up above so I can see her whole body because that might be slightly easier. Hope this helps.

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Sorry, it's a craigslist ad so this is all I have to go off of. I'd be willing to take a chance though since they would be separated for a while anyway, but we are really looking for a female.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's small but I would say it looks very female

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Thanks for your help!! I think we may be getting her tomorrow. :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Looking at how small this one is, I think it is still way too early to tell. They all look female at first...
Did you end up getting it? This little one will greatly benefit from a more humid environment....

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help sexing. Unfortunately it didn't work out with this one. :/ Hopefully she will have a good home somewhere.

However we did find another female (definitely female). We named her Simama.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399501071.443085.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
There's no way to tell by that picture . You have to flip him over and take a picture of his tail area .

Alyssa

5 Year Member
There's no way to tell by that picture . You have to flip him over and take a picture of his tail area .

Are you referring to the last picture? That is a different tortoise. We already got her (soooo excited!). That is a picture of her in our enclosure. She is much bigger than the one we were looking at on craigslist so it was much easier to sex her. She is almost 7 in. She has a short stubby tail with an asterisk near her body. :)