Guesses on sex of this tortoise at petco please

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
This is gonna sound harsh no matter how I phrase it, but if you can only save one, then always choose females, over males. Sorry fellow males.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
no, but would you rather have 1 female, and 99 males, or 1 male, and 99 females, it's a numbers game.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Future breeding and personal preference. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Males are much more common in retail shops. Females are more likely to be able to get along together than males. You only need one male for several females to make a breeding group.

I agree with the artist formerly know as Captain Awesome here. If I could only save one, I'd take a female over a male too.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Males are much more common in retail shops. Females are more likely to be able to get along together than males. You only need one male for several females to make a breeding group.

I agree with the artist formerly know as Captain Awesome here. If I could only save one, I'd take a female over a male too.
oh, ok. thanks for clearing this up :)

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago

So yoy would consider this tortoise to be female?

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Her tail is extremely small. There was another one in there same size but the tail was noticably longer and had a slit where this one seems to have the * and a stupid short tail

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Her tail is extremely small. There was another one in there same size but the tail was noticably longer and had a slit where this one seems to have the * and a stupid short tail
Sounds female to me. Possibly in mature male but I think the odds are leaning towards female.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I really think she is a female. But time will tell. She is adjusting to her temp quarantine home. I am going to use a big Rubbermaid container and give her a bigger space to mess around in until I move out to my house in spring (if things go well) she will fit in the corner very well in the container. She also met nibbles outside there homes under my watch. He didn't really care for her. And she was scared of him lol. So he is in blanky time with his heating pad on my couch and she is currently dug under a piece of stone body still exposed to the nice hot light . I got to tell you my hatred for petco is intense now.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I really think she is a female. But time will tell. She is adjusting to her temp quarantine home. I am going to use a big Rubbermaid container and give her a bigger space to mess around in until I move out to my house in spring (if things go well) she will fit in the corner very well in the container. She also met nibbles outside there homes under my watch. He didn't really care for her. And she was scared of him lol. So he is in blanky time with his heating pad on my couch and she is currently dug under a piece of stone body still exposed to the nice hot light . I got to tell you my hatred for petco is intense now.

She sure is lucky to have been rescued!
Letting them meet did negate any attempts at keeping her in quarantine though. :/

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

that just defeated the purpose of quarantine......3-6 month's is my general rule 3 month's at least but 6 would be better

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
that just defeated the purpose of quarantine......3-6 month's is my general rule 3 month's at least but 6 would be better

Haha by met I ment "saw" each other's presence. They did not make any contact or what not in each other's habitat. I simple made them look at each other hahaha and recognize each other's presence. But I will definitely keep them apart for some time.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I do understand that would defete the purpose. :) she was scared of him when they looked at each other hahaha he just looked at her like what is this thing. Then proceeded to walk away into the depth of his blanky uncaring haha so I put her back in her home

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I did come to my mind afterwards that you probably meant something like this. You allready set up a quarantine enclosure and everything!

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Yes I did. And what was even cooler I had a extra lamp and uvb tube ballast and bulb. And I got 6 bricks of coconut fiber too, I have a glass viv ok size for quarantine for now and a rubbermaide bin for upgrade which is happening today. So I bought the tortoise that was it.