Growing plants

Henry_andres

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville Kentucky
Hi! I recently got some seeds for my tortoise I have a couple different ones along with a grazing grass seed mix. Should I grow these seeds outside or in a pot in the tank? I am not sure if some of the seeds will thrive outside right now cause it’s starting to get a little cooler outside but I want to make sure what I grow is healthy and giving my tortoise the most nutrients possible. Also what soil should I use to grow these plants? I have Dandelion (organic) Taraxacum, Malva Sylvestris "Zebrina" organic, Italian dandelion (Catalona chicory) and the grazing tortoise seed mix. Thanks I have have never really grown plants either so a few pointers would be really helpful!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've only had success planting them outside. In pots.
Growing them inside a tortoise enclosure will probably mean dead plants.
Most of those seed mix plants will regrow over and over if you just snip the tops off. It's like an almost never-ending food supply.
Best of luck to you

Henry_andres

Louisville Kentucky
I've only had success planting them outside. In pots.
Growing them inside a tortoise enclosure will probably mean dead plants.
Most of those seed mix plants will regrow over and over if you just snip the tops off. It's like an almost never-ending food supply.
Best of luck to you
Awesome thank you! What soil should I use?

Henry_andres

Louisville Kentucky
Since it's not going to be tortoise substrate, use any potting soil that's on sale that's suitable for growing people food plants.
Okay sweet thank you! Also this is kinda random but I built him a new enclosure with lights inside his basking spot is not getting as hot as he needs it’s like 90-94 degrees could I make a little mound under the light to raise it up for him? He usually just chills in the Corner on the hot side I don’t usually see him ever directly under the light so maybe it’s okay where it’s at. I can’t move the bulb down my only option is to bring the substrate up. I have two CHE on thermostats set to 80 degrees so it’s always hot enough with humidity at 80 degrees. I ordered the flood bulbs that Tom recommended from Amazon.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Okay sweet thank you! Also this is kinda random but I built him a new enclosure with lights inside his basking spot is not getting as hot as he needs it’s like 90-94 degrees could I make a little mound under the light to raise it up for him? He usually just chills in the Corner on the hot side I don’t usually see him ever directly under the light so maybe it’s okay where it’s at. I can’t move the bulb down my only option is to bring the substrate up. I have two CHE on thermostats set to 80 degrees so it’s always hot enough with humidity at 80 degrees. I ordered the flood bulbs that Tom recommended from Amazon.
You have a Sulcata?
I'm not very familiar with that species or its requirements.
Your heat is via an incandescent bulb?
I'm not sure I can visualize what you've got going on there.

Henry_andres

Louisville Kentucky
You have a Sulcata?
I'm not very familiar with that species or its requirements.
Your heat is via an incandescent bulb?
I'm not sure I can visualize what you've got going on there.
Yes he’s a sulcata I have a 65w 120-volt indoor flood bulb and 2 CHE in his enclosure. On the right side is the flood bulb where his basking spot is. in the middle is 1 CHE and the left is another with thermostats set to 80. Tom said they need around 95-100 on their hot spot mine around 90-95 but he never usually sits right under the light he will chill in the corner close to the wall when he wants heat. Is that okay? Just concerned it’s not hot enough or it’s too hot. I have 3 thermometers in the tank one in the middle and one on each side. They all read great temps except for hot spot not getting the 95-100.

This is what I’m using and Tom recommended for Sulcatas.
Sylvania Lighting BR30 65w 120-volt Indoor Flood Bulb, 6-Pack https://a.co/d/9tWiCBe

I added some pictures. it’s a little foggy in there cause I just sprayed to add some more humidity! That’s how my lights are set up as well!

The cage is brand new he has been in there for about a week or so. So far he been walking around loving it! But I got the new flood bulb about 5 days ago and I thought it would be enough heat to get to 95-100 but it’s just shy.

Attachments

• 801A0D67-8ACD-4BC3-A789-77756BC60B81.jpeg
    801A0D67-8ACD-4BC3-A789-77756BC60B81.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 91D9DFB9-5D18-4781-A7E8-6B525FAE77BB.jpeg
    91D9DFB9-5D18-4781-A7E8-6B525FAE77BB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How are you measuring the temperature under that lamp?
Do you have a non contact thermometer like this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230714_183615_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230714_183615_Samsung Internet.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 2

Henry_andres

Louisville Kentucky
How are you measuring the temperature under that lamp?
Do you have a non contact thermometer like this?
yes it doesn’t have a laser but it reads the temperature of the surface I point it at. I am going to order one of those because it looks a little easier!