Growing plants in enclosure. How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modestyfirst

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, How should I grow plants in my enclosure? Should I use pots or put the seeds in the soil? What kind of light should I use? How do you set your enclosure to grow plants?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Again we need to know what type of tort you have or plan to get. If it will be an adult or a hatchling or yearling? then we can help. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Crazy1 said:
Again we need to know what type of tort you have or plan to get. If it will be an adult or a hatchling or yearling? then we can help. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Also, is it an indoor enclosure or an outdoor enclosure?

Yvonne

modestyfirst

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
modestyfirst said:
Hi, How should I grow plants in my enclosure? Should I use pots or put the seeds in the soil? What kind of light should I use? How do you set your enclosure to grow plants?

I have two russian torts. Not sure of the age yet. The female (Rosie) is about 6 inches long and the male (Elmo) is about 4 inches long.
I am asking about putting plants in my indoor enclosure

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I found it easier to plant in pots. that way if you have trouble with one plant it is easier to take it out. Just set your enclosure up so the pot sets down and the plant is easily available to the torts. Make sure besides their UVB light you have a uva (plant grow bulb) set up for your plants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of my tortoises are outdoors, but I have heard that some people plant their seeds in a kitty-litter tray then sink the tray down into the tortoise's substrate so its ground level. (After the seeds have sprouted and the plantlets are vigorously growing, that is!)

Yvonne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Russians like the little sprouts, so I personally would grow them outside first then place them in the enclosure, otherwise they will never get to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.