Ground colder than air in enclosure

ilikecake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, SC
I have my baby leopard tortoise in a closed chamber. My thermostats all read that air temp is 80 degrees or higher in the enclosure. However, when I use my temp gun on the ground it reads at 71 degrees in the coldest part. Should I believe the temp gun or the thermostats? I have him in a 75-80% humidity enclosure and believe that the damp ground is the reason why it might be colder. What should I do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What is your heat source? A spot bulb would warm up the substrate. @Tom

ilikecake

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
I have a CHE bulb on a thermostat set to 80 and a powersun bulb that brings the basking spot to 95.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is the enclosure? I usually have to use more then one che. Also use warm water not cold when adding it too the substrate.
I'm thinking you need to add another heat source and possibly lower the che's.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have my baby leopard tortoise in a closed chamber. My thermostats all read that air temp is 80 degrees or higher in the enclosure. However, when I use my temp gun on the ground it reads at 71 degrees in the coldest part. Should I believe the temp gun or the thermostats? I have him in a 75-80% humidity enclosure and believe that the damp ground is the reason why it might be colder. What should I do?
Put the probe for the thermostat in the coolest section of the enclosure, down low, and away from any heat source.

I know of no closed chamber that can accommodate the heat generated by a Powersun. Do you mean you have an open topped enclosure with part of the top covered? What size is the enclosure?