Measure temp on ground or shell??

Delilah1623

Maybe this is a silly question but I am trying to get the temps right for my baby redfoot. The air temp is 77 and the temp gun reads the ground temp at 73 on the low end. The hot end is about 93 but if he sits over there his shell temperature (per the heat gun) is 102. Do I need to lower the temperature?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We like to use a rock the size of your tortoise . Let it set under the heat lamp for a hour or so check then adjust as needed . Your air temperature shouldn't drop below 80º .

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've measured ~96F on my torts' shells. My guys seem to hit around that number then run off to their hiding spots. Maybe aim for that number for your rock. All torts are different; adjust the heat depending on your tort :D

Delilah1623

I guess if he was too hot in that spot he could, uh, move.... lol

I am probably being over paranoid. I spent all day checking temps and humidity. He just seems so little and delicate!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
It's easy to worry about everything in the beginning.. especially when they can't exactly voice their opinions. As long as you keep the overall ambient temps around 80, then a hot spot that hits mid 90s should be fine.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I keep my hot spot at 90 . Then the rest of the enclosure fades to 80 . Humidity is 80 . All over the enclosure. I got a cool air mist machine at Wal-Mart for 30 bucks to keep humidity up . I also keep my reds in a shed outside this time of year . So you may need a zoomed humidifier to keep humidity up indoors .

Delilah1623

Thank you both!

The humidity was holding steady in the 80% range so I think that should be ok right? I have glass on the top with several fake plants to hold water and misted 3 times and it never fell below 80%.

He is a little guy, I am guessing less than 6 months old and I am in WI so he is stuck inside for a while but I do plan on making him an outdoor pen next summer.

Here is a picture of his current set up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-12-21-23-05.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-12-21-23-05.png
    3 MB · Views: 29