Went shopping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

droogievesch

5 Year Member
I got my seed mix (Russian Tortoise Mix) and was surprised to find out it takes 6-8 weeks before it will be ready to go (2 weeks for germination, another 6 weeks of growth to get steady roots). Which means I have another 8 weeks to get my enclosure built before I can buy my tort.

So, I went shopping today. I got coco coir for substrate (and for planting my seeds) and cuttle bones. I dug out all my old reptile stuff and have 3-4 UTH, 4-5 dome lights, and 3 fluorescent tube ballasts. My fiance is going tomorrow to Menards to look at general building supplies. He's going to review some tables to get a design, and we need to draft up something (we want it to be multi level, removable trays for seeds, and Mario themed).

All I have left is to buy the lights. I'm deciding what I want to do. I was going to go with a MVB, but one of the forum members here directed me to a thread that shows that even MVB can be dangerous. With everything I already own (ballast/dome light) wise I'm thinking of just getting a ReptiSun 10.0 (or 5.0) straight fluorescent light and then use a regular heat bulb (or even an UTH) for the warm side. Any reason why it won't work to do it that way?

One step further than the "just thinking about it/planning it through" and onto the "actually making this happen". Hopefully you guys won't be bombarded with posts anymore from me ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like your ideas will work fine. The seeds, well mine are probably different kind then yours, but mine started popping up in about 4-5 days. Also, don't worry about asking too many questions, we all have:)

droogievesch

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Sounds like your ideas will work fine. The seeds, well mine are probably different kind then yours, but mine started popping up in about 4-5 days. Also, don't worry about asking too many questions, we all have:)

The website said some would start sprouting in a few days, but out would take two weeks for all the different kinds to sprout. Then another 6 weeks for the roots to be established enough for the tort to be able to graze on it. I guess they're really not delicate eaters :/ It's not a big deal though; I'd rather wait until I'm prepared than to be scrambling around last minute. Plus, money is really tight so it's nice I can spend 10-20 here and there instead of one huge upfront investment.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I just ordered a grassland mix of seeds, wonder if they'll be the same way. I threw in some birdseeds that have grown in a week, she's not interested in them though. Mine loves squash plants, I can't keep them in there, she picks them clean or at least within an inch of their lives. Fingers crossed she likes the seed mix that's coming!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
All of your ideas sound good!

Personally, I used MVBs and they work just fine; it's all about how you mount them. I'm also pretty brandist; it's Zoo Med or nothing for me (except for MegaRays, but they are way overkill for torts). The 5.0 should be fine for a russian, just be sure to replace it every 6 months or so. Also, a word of warning: I believe some newer ZooMed tubes are a smaller diameter and don't fit into old fixtures. I would make sure your ballasts are the appropriate size :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is nothing wrong with MVBs. They are the best solution for a tortoise that will spend long periods of time indoors over a frozen winter, in my opinion. For people whose tortoises get lots of sun every year, the indoor lighting and UV doesn't matter as much. For people whose reptiles don't get out much, I have seen reptiles develop MBD under fluorescent lights even while following the manufacturers recommendations for bulb placement and replacement. For this reason, I am reluctant to advise some one in your position to go this way. I have never seen a reptile of any species develop MBD under a MVB. Yes they get hot and you have to set the height correctly. Yes they make hot spots the natural sunshine does not. Yes, you have to be careful when using them on large or high domed species, but they are still the best solution for simulating real sunshine and it's benefits for someone in the frozen North. If you are making a closed chamber, it will need to be very large and tall to accommodate the heat of an MVB. In that case you might be better off using your fluorescent tube for UV, a regular lower wattage incandescent flood bulb for heat, and just getting as much real sunshine for as much of the year as possible.

This is all an imperfect science and opinions are going to vary, based on personal experience and a lot of other factors. There really is no right or wrong. Every enclosure, it's inhabitants, and the environment where it sits, must be addressed as an individual custom job. There is a lot of equipment available nowadays, and you just have to make a plan, try it all out, and make adjustments wherever necessary to get the temps and conditions you are after.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Tom said:
There is nothing wrong with MVBs. They are the best solution for a tortoise that will spend long periods of time indoors over a frozen winter, in my opinion. For people whose tortoises get lots of sun every year, the indoor lighting and UV doesn't matter as much. For people whose reptiles don't get out much, I have seen reptiles develop MBD under fluorescent lights even while following the manufacturers recommendations for bulb placement and replacement. For this reason, I am reluctant to advise some one in your position to go this way. I have never seen a reptile of any species develop MBD under a MVB. Yes they get hot and you have to set the height correctly. Yes they make hot spots the natural sunshine does not. Yes, you have to be careful when using them on large or high domed species, but they are still the best solution for simulating real sunshine and it's benefits for someone in the frozen North. If you are making a closed chamber, it will need to be very large and tall to accommodate the heat of an MVB. In that case you might be better off using your fluorescent tube for UV, a regular lower wattage incandescent flood bulb for heat, and just getting as much real sunshine for as much of the year as possible.

This is all an imperfect science and opinions are going to vary, based on personal experience and a lot of other factors. There really is no right or wrong. Every enclosure, it's inhabitants, and the environment where it sits, must be addressed as an individual custom job. There is a lot of equipment available nowadays, and you just have to make a plan, try it all out, and make adjustments wherever necessary to get the temps and conditions you are after.

Is your experience with reptiles experiencing MBD with properly mounted fluorescent tubes relegated to a certain brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.