Greetings From Siberia

scampy

Location (City and/or State)
Russia
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have yesterday given a tortoise a new home. I persuaded a student to give it to me, it had been living in a cardboard box for I don't know how long and I want to give her a new lease of life. I was told she was 10 years old. I think its a Russian tortoise i will attach a photo maybe I'm wrong.

I have many questions and because of the climate here it may not be possible for her to spend her time outside and i would hate for her to be outside in winter. Although summer is perfect i have the perfect place for he to live.

Her temporary name is woof ( I told my son it was a dog coz he wanted to take every dog home he sees ) The box she came in has some poo, and some remains of food, the owner told me she eats cucumbers, fruit some lettuce and other things. I want to know if she has been eating these things is it appropriate to change her diet to more suitable for her health or should I stay with what she has been eating? Also she doesn't seem to want to drink maybe i should bath her. The last question of food, because of the snow in winter its impossible to find moist grasses dandelions leaves etc. but its normal to buy dried grass for rabbits would this be ok ?IMG_0233.jpg

For the winter she will live in my apartment, which during winter the temperature is usually between 24 and 28 deg c will she need a heat lamp ? or will it be too hot? Summer is no problem as she will move outside.
I am making a temporary house of cardboard boxes, until i can relearn carpentry and make a real house/run for her but there is no place where I can get shop bought substrate is there anything else I can use?

I worry a little because in the box she came in she seems to try and hide in the corners, when she is walking around outside the box she tries to find corners and walls is this because she is scared ?

Hope these questions can be answered or if someone could post me in the direction of some forum posts, I'm terrible at searching forums.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Scampy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Woof.
Yes, Woof is a Russian tortoise.
You need to build her a nice secure, large indoor enclosure.
The diet is wrong. Look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ first.
And then http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
And also http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
Grass is not great for a Russian tortoise, broad leafed greens are their natural diet.
Yes, bathe her in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes two or three times a week to a depth just a bit over the join of carapace and plastron. If she won't eat at all, baby pumpkin or carrot food can be mixed with the water so some nutrients will be taken in.
Her basking spot should be 35 to 38° C so yes, you will need a basking lamp, an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) might be best as it gives heat, light and the necessary UVB all in one. You may need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat for night time temps, though adult Russians are ok at temps in the 20's at night, as long as they can properly warm up in the morning.
A large bookcase, on its back, with all the shelves knocked out and lined with a shower curtain, is a good start for an enclosure.
You can buy coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch online, otherwise herbicide and pesticide free topsoil or even safe, sand free yard dirt are your best substrate options.
She will hide a lot to begin, until she knows she is safe, but the floor is not a good place for her, temps are lower and hard to control, humidity is wrong, drafts are dangerous and objects can be ingested which can prove fatal, even dust bunnies.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Marivladi

Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum! Where in Siberia are you ? Seems crazy to keep a tortoise there :)))). I'm from Russia, but live in USA now.
I'm new to tortoises myself can't give much advice, but this is a great place to find info. I learned a ton from an amazing team in here.
Congrats on your new pet! Heard that Russians are characters ;).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have two very good care sheets for Russian tortoises. You'll find them pinned at the top of our Russian section. You will also find a list of food items for Russian tortoises in that section. You should continue feeding what the tortoise is used to eating, adding a bit of the new and different food items, a small bit at a time, and gradually reducing the old food items while increasing the new type. It may take a while, as you have to do it gradually and slowly.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome from California!
You already received great advice!
Just remember the bigger the better for your enclosure. You may need to rearrange furniture or even build it in an L shape to fit in a nice corner.
Woof is very lucky to have found you!! You will read conflicting info on other sites but ours is the most up to date:)
Have fun building and planning!

scampy

Russia
Thanks for the welcome,

And thanks for all the information, I have a lot to think about. Bookcase is no problem i will get onto the job tomorrow. Sourcing mercury lames may be a problem but i can find ordinary heat lamps quite easily they are popular here for some reason ))))

I worry a little about food because after the end of october the ground will be frozen and I won't be able to pick any of the weeds they like so much. Although there is still an abundance of plantain at the moment. I will spend the next few weeks trying to adjust her diet.

Because of the situation with available food I think it might be better for her to sleep through winter but in the house is this possible?

Welcome to the forum! Where in Siberia are you ? Seems crazy to keep a tortoise there :)))). I'm from Russia, but live in USA now.
I'm new to tortoises myself can't give much advice, but this is a great place to find info. I learned a ton from an amazing team in here.
Congrats on your new pet! Heard that Russians are characters ;).

Yes she is already a character I can see. I am originally from Liverpool but I have lived in Novosibirsk for the past 8 years, I am quite settled here family children business etc. Actually although there are not many suppliers there seems to be quite a few people who have them

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It is not recommended to brumate (hibernate), your tortoise in it's first year with you, it will be stressed and possibly not completely healthy, so brumation would be potentially dangerous.
You need to see what is available in the supermarkets there and try to get a supply of tortoise supplements like Mazuri or the equivalent

scampy

Russia
It is not recommended to brumate (hibernate), your tortoise in it's first year with you, it will be stressed and possibly not completely healthy, so brumation would be potentially dangerous.
You need to see what is available in the supermarkets there and try to get a supply of tortoise supplements like Mazuri or the equivalent

ok thanks for that

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should be able to fine the Mercury Vapor Bulb on Amazon.com

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome to the wacky world of tortoise keeping.

scampy

Russia
An update thanks again for the welcome,

So i have bathed her a few times but she doesn't seem to be drinking anything. Although she has a couple of poos, made some big puddles she will eat cabbage, she wolfs it down and she is happy to take food from my hand, but I'm having trouble to get her to eat plantain and dandelion leaves. Ive ordered a mercury vapour lamp I'm waiting for it come and the house construction is well underway. She should move in tonight.

Although we have had 3 name changes in the past week, it started with woof, then was changed to slowpoke (копушка) but finally my wife had her say and we decided on Isadora. apparently because she has the pose of a ballerina.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A ggod place to check if you food is good and safe is http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
They tend, probably correctly, to err on the side of caution, but are a good starting point for what is good to eat.
Dandelion is excellent tortoise food, but be careful feeding only cabbage
.http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=621
I, personally, don't think a little as part of a mixed diet would do any harm, but as the main food, I think it's not a good idea.
Plantain's good as well if she will eat it.