Greenhouse box for my redfoot

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
My redfoot loves being outside but I live in New Hampshire and even in the summertime the mornings and evenings can get a bit chilly.

To that end, I built a small greenhouse for him to help stretch the outdoor season, and to provide a warm and secure hide for him within the greenhouse I made a heated hide.

IMG_9596.jpg

It's a 38-gallon HDX containerI(38" by 22") I got at Home Depot.

IMG_9599.jpg

I cut out a door for him with my dremel and then attached a car floor mat from the dollar store with silicone.

IMG_9607.jpg

Inside the box, I've hung a chicken coop panel heater which I'll run through a thermostat.

IMG_9608.jpg

I hung it using machine screws, washers, and nuts.

I may insulate the lid to help hold heat in a bit, but the truth is I figured it's ok for the heat to bleed out into the greenhouse to warm Darwin's entire country home.

Jamie

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How hot does the back side of that radiant heat panel get?

So if I'm understanding correctly, this box will be inside the greenhouse? A heated night box inside the greenhouse works well for me.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
How hot does the back side of that radiant heat panel get?

So if I'm understanding correctly, this box will be inside the greenhouse? A heated night box inside the greenhouse works well for me.

I tested it in my house, and the back of the panel gets warm, but not hot, to the touch... my plan is to have a small computer fan move the warm air around inside the box and a thermostat set at 82°.

I'm chicken enough that I don't see leaving him out at nights, so I might add a timer to heat the greenhouse up in the morning so it's ready for him when I get up with the dogs.

Jamie