Green Leaf Lettuce

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
Does anyone feed there sully green leaf lettuce is it the same as red leaf?? And is it good for them?

Thanks

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Nutrition value is the same in my book. I lightly dust the veg, but they are the same family....

ashleym

5 Year Member
Not sure about others, but I feed red leaf lettuce about 1-2 times a week but no more than that because it's not very nutritious for them. I do romaine lettuce rarely. He does get kale & turnip greens on a daily basis though, which is also easy to obtain. I want to trade out the kale for something else though because it does have a higher amount of protein in it than some other healthy choices. I also do a planted seed mix by CarolinaPetSupply.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/nutrient.htm
^ That's an awesome site that has a food table showing common things fed to them and where they stand as far as nutrition goes.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
As of now I need to buy the turnip greens from the store which kinds produce is from that family that would be safe to feed??

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is fine, but its not a great diet for your sulcata. If you must use grocery store foods, lean heavily toward escarole and endive. Add collard, mustard and turnip greens, cilantro, watercress, other lettuces, carrot tops, etc. Lots of variety.

All of this can be made into a much better diet by sprinkling on some "Salad Style" or fresh grass clippings.

This might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

Status
Not open for further replies.