Graze on shell.

MrsB

Location (City and/or State)
Immingham
Hi all, I have an 8-month-old Russian tortoise. Early this week we noticed a small graze on his underbelly, we removed all small slate out of his enclosure thinking he might have grazed it on one of these. Today before his bath I had a look and it has opened up again and bleeding. I am a very new tortoise mummy who is just abit worried.
His enclosure is indoor, a tortoise table 4ft by 2ft I use coco coir for substrate. The table has a lid. There's nothing in there for him to cause this injury.
I do have a cat who does not seem bothered about him and a dog who I just won't let near him.

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_160737.jpg
    IMG_20210529_160737.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 39

MrsB

Immingham
Sorry, my camera quality is poor. I will have to upload some better photos tomorrow as Winston ( my tortoise) is fast asleep now and I don't want to disturb him.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
That photo is entirely back-lit. It is impossible to tell if you are seeing something going wrong with the umbilicus, or some other thing?

Please re-take the photo so that good natural light shines on the plastron from over your shoulder.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would put some over the counter antibiotic like neosporin on it and keep it clean until its closed again.
Change his substrate out just for now and use paper towel to help keep it clean.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Keep his enclosure clean. Make sure he gets calcium, too, though that probably isnt the problem. Just in case, make sure your other pets stay away from the tort.

MrsB

Immingham
Thank you for your reply. I spot check his enclosure regular throughout the day. Calcium I give 3 times a week. My Other pets are kept separate from him as I don't want anything to happen to him. Am going to post more pictures tomorrow of his enclosure and his graze on his underbelly. Hopefully, it's nothing serious just really worried about him.