Grains and Legumes for California Desert tortoise

fwuts

Location (City and/or State)
Hawthorne
I inherited a 9 lbs desert tortoise and had nothing to feed him so I gave him some smoothie mix I had and he loved it. I am wondering if it is good for him. He lives in an enclosed backyard with a lawn and ungroomed plant beds so he can eat whatever. I feed him a mixture of sprouted black rice, chickpeas, black beans and wheatgrass that I blend into a mush. It's about 50% wheatgrass. What do you think of this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depends upon how high those sprouted items are in protein. Desert tortoises aren't used to getting too much plant protein.

Welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I inherited a 9 lbs desert tortoise and had nothing to feed him so I gave him some smoothie mix I had and he loved it. I am wondering if it is good for him. He lives in an enclosed backyard with a lawn and ungroomed plant beds so he can eat whatever. I feed him a mixture of sprouted black rice, chickpeas, black beans and wheatgrass that I blend into a mush. It's about 50% wheatgrass. What do you think of this?
That is too much protein, and he's in danger of forming a bladder stone. Its important to keep him well hydrated for a while now. I'd soak every other day in a tall sided opaque tub with shallow water. You can also run a hose onto your grass and they love to drink from the puddles. You can also spray water onto the food before they eat it.

Your tortoise should be eating the right weeds, leaves, grasses and succulents. Here is a starter list:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles