Diet/Mazuri for desert torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone out there feed Mazuri to their desert torts? If so, how often? I'm wondering if it would be a good supplement for my two juvenile CDTs. I find it hard to keep their diet as varied as I assume they need. Right now they primarily eat three different grasses we have in the yard (fescue, Bermuda, wheatgrass), a variety of weeds, different organic greens from the market, squashes and cactus pads. I plan to plant some hibiscus in the yard for them and our roses should be in soon, so that should help, but I still wonder if they're getting the right mix. Some days their poop is runny -- it seems to be when they've had a lot of store-bought greens.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Andy_Panda said:
Check out this thread regarding mazuri I have comparison ingredients and fiber content numbers
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-11645.html

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using TortForum mobile app

This thread is very helpful, thank you, Andy. I'm curious if any DT folks specifically have tried the Mazuri (or another product). Most of the discussion seems to have been among owners of other types of torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have 7 desert tortoises and mostly they graze on the grass in their pen, with the occasional branch from a mulberry tree. But when I have a big bowl of Mazuri mixed up for the Aldabra tortoises, I gave a big spoonful to the desert tortoises and they wouldn't eat it. That's not really a good test, though because my desert tortoises aren't used to getting anything other than grasses, weeds and leaves.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, Yvonne. I had no idea you have so many DTs! Maybe I'll hold off on getting the Mazuri then, and just lower the proportion of greens I'm feeding. I try to encourage them to forage the grass and weeds available, but of course if there's something yummy in the dish they go for it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.