Got my seeds today...question

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I did mine years ago I spread them out and then pushed them down some. Just so my tort wouldn't try to eat the seed.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Be sure not to spread them too thickly (there is a LOT of seed in those bags!).

A very thin layer, with plenty of unseeded soil is good. Otherwise the faster growing plants will crowd out everything else.

Are you planting these outside or in a grow house?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hand scatter them and then hand scatter about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of soil on top of the seeds.

Do not let this upper layer of soil dry out during germination and when you start to see sprouts. Water lightly as many times a day as you have to, to keep the soil damp. Here in my dry climate, a have to water lightly every couple of hours on a hot day to prevent the soil from drying out. Once the sprouts are 5-6" I can usually cut back to watering once in the evening and again in the morning.

Momagn36

Christiansburg VA Blue Ridge Mountians
Be sure not to spread them too thickly (there is a LOT of seed in those bags!).

A very thin layer, with plenty of unseeded soil is good. Otherwise the faster growing plants will crowd out everything else.

Are you planting these outside or in a grow house?

I was going to try a few in her outdoor enclosure I'm trying to set up and see if I can get some to grow before it gets too cold, and plant a bunch indoors in a planter for indoor use as everyday food. I'm terrible at growing anything. I kill cactus. lol

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Good luck with the outdoor enclosure; mine never had a chance this year. She trampled everything before it took root.

This winter I am going to see early, so there are some established plants by the time she comes out of hibernation.

Momagn36

Christiansburg VA Blue Ridge Mountians
So far so good on inside ones. Did not plant outside ones, weather has been too crazy. Have a grow light on them and turn them daily so they don't lean one direction. The man at Lowes thought I said I was growing WEED, not weeds lol it was funny. Bet he doesn't run across too many people who TRY to grow weeds on purpose. 0929170837.jpg 0929170837a.jpg 0929170837a.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s a good start! You’ve got a bunch of radishes started, that’s for sure! Those are the ones that are already tall.

You’re going to need to thin out your sprouts; they are going to choke each other out as they grow and you won’t get healthy plants. Radishes and clover were the ones that took over my planter box!

Pull out perhaps a third of those to start. Be gentle; they’ll come right out. You’ll pull out some you don’t mean to but that’s okay. Later on, you’ll thin again. Eventually you’ll get a nice balance of healthy weeds, each with enough soil for their roots to hang onto.

Rhea

Missouri
Mine also sprouted but died! I believe I over watered them. And also had too many planted in too small a space!