Got another tort..

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
TX
I've been wanting a star tortoise for awhile now and NARBC was in Arlington this past weekend. I currently own 4 Russians and it seems like the care for a Burmese is very similar. Hes about 4 inches long. There appearance is so fascinating!

Star1.jpg Star2.jpg Star3.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very pretty tortoise. It looks like it has been taken care of properly, nice smooth shell.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
So do you guys think this is an Indian or Burmese? On startortoises.net the shell looks Burmese but the plastron looks like an Indian. At several conventions the vendors are selling them as just Star tortoises, could they not be sure as well?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your tortoise is an Indian Star, not Burmese. The Indian Stars are much more sensitive to colder temperatures and you should set it up so the temperature never drops much below 80f. They are extremely different in needs than your Russians.

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
Your tortoise is an Indian Star, not Burmese. The Indian Stars are much more sensitive to colder temperatures and you should set it up so the temperature never drops much below 80f. They are extremely different in needs than your Russians.

Thank you for the confirmation. I wasn't to certain but my temps have been good regardless. He will get the care he needs!!

Berkeley

In my experience, the Indian stars are not all that sensitive to lower temperatures. What they are sensitive to is lower temperatures and lots of moisture. I leave my group outside until the night time lows go below 50 for more than two nights in a row- as long as it is dry. If it is rainy or damp and below 60, then I bring them in. And when it is warm, they can handle humidity much better than the Russians.

--Berkeley

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
TX
In my experience, the Indian stars are not all that sensitive to lower temperatures. What they are sensitive to is lower temperatures and lots of moisture. I leave my group outside until the night time lows go below 50 for more than two nights in a row- as long as it is dry. If it is rainy or damp and below 60, then I bring them in. And when it is warm, they can handle humidity much better than the Russians.

--Berkeley

Yea, I just finished reading Jerry Fife's book on Star Tortoises. He makes note more then once that wet and cold conditions should be avoided even at 75F. And im sure that's for adults, not Juveniles. According to his temps stars seem to tolerate cold(60s) as long as its dry and can heat up during the day(70s or heated hidebox)