Good enclosure plants!!!??

CannibalTort

So I've been doing a crap ton of researching and for someone reason I just feel unsafe about it, I moved my 8 month red footed tortoise into a bigger enclosure (indoors) and really wanted to put some plants within so he has places to hid or something to nibble on. I've been looking into certain succulents for a while and was suggested hens and chicks- but is that for all of the versions of it or is it just for one? I can't seem to find a plant either that's safe that drapes over and provides a hiding spot. His enclosure is a long tubber were probably about 3-4 feet long and about 7-8 inches tall. So I can't have anything to big. Any suggestions

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Like DutchieAmanda said, spider plants are a good choice. I can't answer your question about the hens and chicks, I know the common variety you find at most nurseries is safe (aside from chemicals), though they don't provide much cover. Boston Ferns like humidity and did well inside my Leopard enclosure. I currently have a jade plant in a pot in the enclosure right now. The thing you have to be the most careful about is pesticides and chemicals from any plant you don't grow yourself. Some pesticides can be systemic and can remain in the plant for a long time. I let my nursery bought plants grow for up to 6 months and always re-pot in organic soil and remove all the soil from the root ball that came with the plant. Boston Ferns seem to be not very tasty for tortoises, so if you can find a small one, put it in a pot or on something so the tort can't get to it while you wait for chemicals to dissipate that might work. Same thing for spider plants. I got one of the "babies" from a friend's spider plant after confirming that she hadn't used any chemicals on the mother plant. I re-potted, and now it is a nice big plant...my torts don't like the taste of it either but it makes for good cover for them. Some people use fake plants, too.

turdle yerdle

Location (City and/or State)
IL
So I've been doing a crap ton of researching and for someone reason I just feel unsafe about it, I moved my 8 month red footed tortoise into a bigger enclosure (indoors) and really wanted to put some plants within so he has places to hid or something to nibble on. I've been looking into certain succulents for a while and was suggested hens and chicks- but is that for all of the versions of it or is it just for one? I can't seem to find a plant either that's safe that drapes over and provides a hiding spot. His enclosure is a long tubber were probably about 3-4 feet long and about 7-8 inches tall. So I can't have anything to big. Any suggestions
Pothos and Palms are the way to go