Are These Plants Edible for Russian Tortoises?

ChloeCrull

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, California
Hello, everyone!

I purchased an aloe vera plant from Lowe's today (I'll re-pot it to avoid dangerous chemicals near the roots) and headed over to Vons. Now, Vons always has a handful of interesting succulents outside the entrance (I frequently purchase aloe vera plants from there).

There's quite a large selection of pots filled with succulents, but I wouldn't dare even use them for "decoration" if they weren't safe for my tortoises. I merely want to liven up the outdoor enclosure that will be set up tomorrow.

Here are the pictures of the succulents I found.

How do they look?

20141210_133516.jpg 20141210_133521.jpg 20141210_133528.jpg 20141210_133536.jpg

Thank you. Please excuse my lack of plant knowledge!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am sorry I don't know the names of those plants. Some sedums that are safe are ones in the stonecrop group, such as autumn joy. Hens and chicks are also safe.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I have a couple succulents like in the pictures I bought to put in my tortoise cage after I get done building it. I heard succulents are safe

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So what are you asking us? The plants look very nice. Did you buy them all? Or are you asking which ones you should buy?

The portulacaria, or elephant bush is a plant from Africa that the natives call "tortoise food." You can't go wrong buying that one.

Some of the crassulas and senecios are not to be fed.

If you want to buy those succulents and use them to decorate a habitat, just keep them up out of the tortoise's reach if you're unsure if they're toxic or not.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
So what are you asking us? The plants look very nice. Did you buy them all? Or are you asking which ones you should buy?

The portulacaria, or elephant bush is a plant from Africa that the natives call "tortoise food." You can't go wrong buying that one.

Some of the crassulas and senecios are not to be fed.

If you want to buy those succulents and use them to decorate a habitat, just keep them up out of the tortoise's reach if you're unsure if they're toxic or not.
Which one is elephant bush?