Going Shopping

Pjfarm

Location (City and/or State)
Nh usa
Hi So we have had Rocky (RT) in our fam for 3 or so weeks. So far so good. His shell is about 3-4 in. Across no idea what age or gender. We know what he likes to eat Brussel Sprouts and iceburg lettuce and what he doesn't like Romainne, butter lettuce, celery greens. He hasn't really eaten the crunchy colorful pellets from Petco. He had some of the orange "fruit" squares. I have tried to bathe him about one every few days but he is not a fan.

I have a question about his enclosure. The water thing is so big and takes up so much room and he never uses it. Should I get a smaller one? Same with the log. He does like the log but it is a bit long and takes up a lot of room. Also is there other food that we should try that is more nutritious than iceberg? I have sprinkled some calcium on it once or twice. TIA!

151524186604242604003.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...and welcome to the Forum.

Lots to learn here, so get a good chair, get by the fire, and start reading...

Here’s a good place to start, https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Then, I would highly recommend a much larger enclosure. There are all kinds of ideas.

Definitely find a new home for that water bowl which is more designed for other reptiles like lizards that can crawl up and Dow, your tort would find it very difficult to climb up and down to drink.

• Best option, is a medium size terra-cotta plant saucer. Most garden centers, or WalMart, or Home Depot or Lowe’s...etc still have them about this time of year.
  • Definitely soak your guy more often.
I can’t see your substrate, but check that out, and your lighting. If your temps and lighting aren’t right, your tort will want to hibernate.

Good luck. Add more pix. Try making a larger enclosure soon.

Pjfarm

Nh usa
Thanks for the info and suggestion! We will get going on that today!!

kai.oki

Belgium
I'm no expert but this is some of the important information I've been given by more knowledgeable members which you might find helpful:

1. Russians need a lot of space. Your tort is about the same size as mine- we have her in a 4.5 x 4.5 foot enclosure for now, but will be upgrading to a bigger one (9 x 3.5) within a year.

2. If your enclosure does have glass sides, it can be a good idea to block the view so he can't see out. Some tortoises get stressed or confused from seeing their own reflection, or being able to see a bigger space but not be able to get to it.

3. Iceberg doesn't have enough nutrients to keep your tortoise healthy, and I don't think it's a good idea to feed celery greens as they are high in oxalates (see this page for more info: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=620#.WlDKhlWnGc0) Weeds and wild flowers are best, but those can sometimes be difficult to source. I think that as far as store-bought food goes, lamb's lettuce, kale (in moderation) and escarole are better options :) We just planted a mixture of tort-friendly weeds are are growing them inside in pots on our window ledges. It will take a few months but then she'll have a fairly constant supply of great food.

I hope this helps- enjoy your time with your new friend!

Pjfarm

Nh usa
Thank you for your comments. We need to figure out the enclosure thing for sure. Thanks for the greens suggestions. We will def. Get what we can today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi So we have had Rocky (RT) in our fam for 3 or so weeks. So far so good. His shell is about 3-4 in. Across no idea what age or gender. We know what he likes to eat Brussel Sprouts and iceburg lettuce and what he doesn't like Romainne, butter lettuce, celery greens. He hasn't really eaten the crunchy colorful pellets from Petco. He had some of the orange "fruit" squares. I have tried to bathe him about one every few days but he is not a fan.

I have a question about his enclosure. The water thing is so big and takes up so much room and he never uses it. Should I get a smaller one? Same with the log. He does like the log but it is a bit long and takes up a lot of room. Also is there other food that we should try that is more nutritious than iceberg? I have sprinkled some calcium on it once or twice. TIA!
Hello and welcome to the tortoise forum! :)

I'm glad you've found us because the info and products you got from the pet store will not keep your tortoise alive for very long. This is sad but typical. They just don't understand proper tortoise care and corporate makes them sell all the wrong products like little glass tanks, ramped water bowls, red bulbs for heat, cfl bulbs for UV, and that "fruity pebbles" tortoise food. Frequently they sell people sand for substrate too, which is deadly.

You need to rethink your entire care, heating, lighting, housing and feeding strategy. Please start with these two threads, and then come back with all your questions. We are here to talk tortoises. None of us are selling anything. We just want your tortoise to be healthy and for you to have an enjoyable tortoise keeping experience. Once things are set up right, it is easy.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
.........The water thing is so big and takes up so much room and he never uses it. Should I get a smaller one? Same with the log. He does like the log but it is a bit long and takes up a lot of room.

This is why you need a bigger enclosure. Once you add in the artificial plants, the hiding places, the food and water receptacles, there's no room for the tortoise. To say nothing of being able to get a good temperature gradient in a small aquarium.